Baldor motor wiring

Just when I thought I was doneFlustered.......another question regarding rotation change. When connected as per Marks direction the rotation was opposite to what is needed. On the wiring diagram it says to change rotation by switching #5 and #8 which I did(1-3-5 and 2-j-8) but now the on/off switch is somehow bypassed; when plugged in the motor runs regardless of the switch position. This is with the white(neutral, yes?) from the power cord connected with 1-3-5. I tried connecting the white from the power cord to 2-j-8 and it popped the breaker. Advice/instruction?

thanks, Brian

When you use a remote switch wired from the junction box you send power down the white wire to the switch. So you connect the white in the power cord to the motor power input. The black from the switch is then the live wire to the motor power input. In your case #4 and #1,3,5 get power. 8-J-2 connect together.

Last edited:
It should have worked Brian. Check wiring again- sounds like you crossed the switch white with the power white
Mark

Check also that the power switch hasn't shorted inside- long shot but possible
Mark
ps two blacks are still connected?

"When you use a remote switch wired from the junction box you send power down the white wire to the switch.So you connect the white in the power cord to the motor power input. The black from the switch is then the live wire to the motor power input. In your case #4 and #1,3,5 get power. 8-J-2 connect together."

.....connect the white in the power cord to the motor power input. Does this mean white in the power cord to #4, referred to as line in the wiring diagram?

The black from the switch is then the live wire to the motor power input I'm confused by the use of motor power input. twice. Is this hot leg connected to #4 or #1-3-5?

"It should have worked Brian. Check wiring again- sounds like you crossed the switch white with the power white" Mark

Double checked, white from power cord is connected to #1-3-5, white from switch to #4(but i've now changed that)

I connected blk in power cord to white in switch leg(taped blk), then blk from switch to #4, (motor power input right?) so this should be a hot leg from the power cord through the switch to #4, which makes sense to me. The motor runs in the correct rotation but the switch is still inoperable, switch leg always hot(always closed). I don't get how this can be unless the switch itself was fried when I tried connecting the white from the power cord to 2-j-8 which popped the breaker (as noted earlier).

Please advise, thanks,

Brian

just saw this after making this post:
"Check also that the power switch hasn't shorted inside- long shot but possible"
ps two blacks are still connected?" Mark

Blacks are not connected as I've wired it as posted above, and yes I think the switch may now be the problem. I'll test that later today.

For my own clarity; the hot leg goes from the power cord through the switch and into the motor via #4, then returns to the neutral in the power cord via #1-3-5, am I looking at this correctly?

thanks again

Last edited:
If you, at one point, had the switch connected across the line (both whites together and both blacks together) and connected to the power input and it tripped the breaker when you turned it 'on' you probably welded the switch contacts together. Connect an ohm meter or continuity checker across the disconnected switch and see if it opens. Make sure to unplug first!

1. Connect wires 1,3, 5 to the neutral (white) in the power cord - the one with the plug on it.
2. Connect the black from the power cord to the white in the switch cord. Put some black tape on the white wire to make the code experts happy.
3. Connect the black wire from the switch to wire 4.
4. Connect 2, J, 8 together and forget them.
Plug in, turn on, and enjoy.

Funny Jim, that's just what did before your post. I'll check continuity, pretty sure what I'll find. And yes, I will Make sure to unplug first! I may be ignorant, but I'm not stupid:encourage:!!

Brian

Brian: when in doubt, go back to last known working configuration and start again from there.
M
ps Your "clarity" is correct
pss Jim is correct; switches sometimes "weld" themselves shut

Last edited:
Back