Ball Oiler in Heavy 10 Cross-feed Nut

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Would be nice to oil the nut without removing that little set-screw. Anyone done it? Any reason not to?

The screw is there to put pressure on a steel pin in the nut. It locks it into the bore. It doesn't necessarily have a through hole. your set screw should have a point on it, that pushes the pin.

Last edited:
Is there not already a provision somewhere to oil the cross feed lead screw?

Under the set screw on mine . X slide clearance

Last edited:
The screw is there to put pressure on a steel pin in the nut. It locks it into the bore. It doesn't necessarily have a through hole. your set screw should have a point on it, that pushes the pin.

Do you have a sketch of that pin? My book lists the screw as a sub assembly, and nothing is shown for a pin. Wondering what it does and what it looks like.

No, I was basing it on my 9, I thought they would be similar. The 9 nuts don't have a through hole, just a steel pint that the tip of the nut (cone) pushes agains the bore. Thought the same for the 10h

Is there not already a provision somewhere to oil the cross feed lead screw?
Yes, it's a tiny set-screw in the center of the screw that retains the nut. I'd like to eliminate having to remove that screw.

Maybe it depends on the size/model/year, but on my 15" SB there is a set screw in the center of the cross feed nut like you describe and it's sole purpose is to oil the nut and screw. I remove the set screw to oil, just like I do in a few other places. Yes, it's a pain... The only reservation I would have about a ball oiler is that dirt/crap might work down through it and get into the nut. It's in a pretty dirty location as that area gets a lot of chips, cutting oil, etc. built up on it while machining. That dirty cutting oil could work it's way into a ball oiler I'm afraid. YMMV.

Ted

The only reservation I would have about a ball oiler is that dirt/crap might work down through it and get into the nut. It's in a pretty dirty location as that area gets a lot of chips, cutting oil, etc. built up on it while machining. That dirty cutting oil could work it's way into a ball oiler I'm afraid. YMMV.

Ted

You are correct. It also dawned on me, that because the cross-feed nut retaining screw is a slotted head, the ball oiler would need to be recessed at least to the depth of the slot, creating a well in which crap will collect. Oh well.....

I use one of those speed handles (shaped like a screw driver with the long, straight allen key) for oiling my lathe. Makes it a lot easier and faster.

Ted
Allen wrench.jpg

Back