Ball oiler

Jude

Registered
Registered
How do you fill the little ball oilers on a mini lathe?
ALSO, what oil do you use, my new g0765 recommends ISO 32. Is there a good alternative?

I'd suggest ordering some at least from eBay , but if your in a hurry a light 20 wt oil will be ok . If you could get non detergent it would be better.

They make oil cans with pointy tips made to push down the ball to inject oil into the oiler.
There are several threads on H-M explaining more detail of this very subject.

ISO oils are hydraulic oils. You can usually find it fairly inexpensively at farm supply stores. It is used for tractor hydraulic / transmission systems. You can probably find an oil can with a pointy tip there too.

Bob is absolutely right.
I guess I just always think of ISO 32 (and other oils specified as ISO) as hydraulic oils, which they are not necessarily. I find that is is usually easier to find ISO32 hydraulic oil than it is to find SAE10 (non-detergent).

If you buy motor oil outside the U.S., I expect it will be labeled in ISO viscosity. I use hydraulic oil as well for my machines, AW32 or AW64. I sometimes mix them to a rough equivalent of AW46.

SAE oils are for automotive use.
ISO oils are for industrial aplications.

Sometimes we can do a crossover, but it isn't ideal.

SAE oils are for automotive use.
ISO oils are for industrial aplications.

Sometimes we can do a crossover, but it isn't ideal.
Those incorrect statements are a byproduct of which lubricants you purchase and which system is commonly used for specific markets. The truth is that ISO and SAE are very much the same thing as saying a 12 mm bolt or a 1/2 inch bolt. Different measuring systems, nothing else. Still bolts. It helps a lot to have the charts ingrained in your mind, or a chart handy:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/
It is all part of the same continuum, in multiple languages.

Back