Ball turners specifically for Atlas 12"

I realized that this particular design will only do a half-round on the end, it will not do a full ball because there needs to be a third axis of movement that is perpendicular to the floor.
Theoretically it will do one, but practically it will not. The cutter needs to be able to move "up and down" (perpendicular to the floor) to be able to start "up" to make a light cut, then "down" into the part to make the ball.

I made one of the style you showed in post #1, and cut almost a complete ball on my 9x20 Jet lathe out of 3/4" dia. drill rod. It went quick and easy . Not sure if it will cut a complete ball since I was cutting one like you have on the end of a crank handle, but see no reason why a full ball can't be cut.009.JPG

I'd like to make one like the first one shown in post #1, but I need to get my compound off the apron, but it's stuck. I can't get the pins out. If I try top make one that fits in the lathe tool holder, but I'd have to make the parts too small/thin to have any rigidity and safety.

I've designed one that is similar to the 2nd one in the first post. This will fir in the QCTP. I just need to get small steel scraps to make it.

I have one rule that I mostly follow - never make something so that I can make something else if I can buy the first something.

I have one rule that I mostly follow - never make something so that I can make something else if I can buy the first something.

Funny..... but doesn’t that negate the need for my shop in the first place? I’d be a far sight wealthier following your line of thinking however. 60K worth of machinery and paraphernalia (10% of which was eBay shipping) to make a drawbar and a bushing...... so far.

Nope, not at all. There is always the "something else" that I need to make as soon as I acquire the "something" required in order to make it. ;)

Yeah, it's like making a milling machine...to make a ball turner...so you can make a ball...on the lathe. I don't mind making stuff since it gives me experience for if/when the Engineering/"shop" program at the high school I teach at ever gets revived, or if I go somewhere else that has an Engineering/"shop" program. I think differently about a design if I know I have to make it. This is something I can pass on to students. I worked with lots of designers that never actually made anything, so they'd design these impossible products then wonder why it was really expensive or needed redesign. Plus, I find the process interesting, stimulating and satisfying.

Back