Ball type oil nipple & oil injector

petertha

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Not sure if this is the right forum, but does anyone have a good lead of where to source the typical ball type (check valve maybe?) oil nipples like often found on lathes & mills? Actually let me rephrase - BETTER quality that what is typically found... :)

After dismantling my lathe its now obvious some of the nipples may not have been accepting oil very well. I just assumed they were meeting flow resistance in between close surfaces where lubrication was require.

I saw on Stefan's YouTube channel Vertex rotary table Teardown he replaces with some nice ones. Red dot = new, silver = original like mine.

The other related issue might be my oiler. When I gave it my typical squeeze using my bottle, it was an anemic little squirt in the passage now that I can witness the true volume with no obstruction. Is that what these oversized hypodermic needle looking units are all about? Saw on ebay but looked like UK source & didn't ship to Canada.

SNAG-3-27-2017 0003.jpg

SNAG-3-27-2017 0000.jpg

Mcmaster sells them, called Gits oilers. RGD Tools in the UK also sells them. I have some from RGD Tools but I haven't tried them yet, haven't needed to. I added them to an order I placed from them a while back.

I always wondered what those red ball oilers are that Stefan uses. I must have missed it if he talked about them. What are they?

Oops, just missed your post DZ. In Stefans vid he shows how he drilled them out (from front side) or knocks them out (from rear) or threads & jacks them out (when they are stubborn). He just says 'more visible' so I'm not clear if its red because a synthetic material like a plastic, or still metal but somehow colored. I inquired about a supplier, if I hear back I will post.

The color is a perk but mostly I'd like ones that actually work. I'm a bit concerned if they are metric & I buy an undersized one, locktiting them might not hold if the hole is sloppy. Those injector style oilers apparently can deliver have high pressure.

Thanks, yeah if you do find out a supllier please let us know. I thought that too, some sort of plastic ball or something. Just curious cause I've never seen them anywhere else other than on Stefan's lathe & stuff.

I must have not paid attention when watchbhe Vertex teardown video. I'll go watch it again.

I've had ball oiler get stuck on my tailstock before, luckily I was able to get the ball to pop back up. Even with better quality ones, they can still get stuck. What happens is if the tip's angle on your oil can is too narrow it will push the ball in too far which causes the spring to bottom out & bind.

Yah I don't want to give you bad advice, but almost looks like when he drilled them from the oil in front side, the bit chamfers the insert housing to the point its now larger diameter than the ball. The ball & spring fly's out & then you are left with removing the oiler shell stuck in the casting. Watch the vid & ses if you agree.

Aha! those look like the ones & come in incremental sizes. Thanks!

That's ok, I'm not looking to replace any, just wondering what the red ball ones are.

Some guys use a drywall or wood screw with the tip cut off screwed into them & yank them out. I don't think there's a way to remove them without damaging them unless you can press them out from behind.

Back