Ball vise stand -large radius turning with the compound.

Holescreek

Active User
Registered
I picked up a ball vise Saturday that was missing the base and the chuck key. It was pretty rusted so I glass beaded it and rubbed it down with some scotchbrite. Today I turned a base out of PVC. I wouldn't normally post something so mundane but there was a thread last week where someone wanted to know how to cut a large radius without a radius tool. This one is a 2.75" radius. I put a HSS bit with a large radiused cutting edge in a tool holder and loosened the compound retaining nuts so I could rotate it by hand. The radius size is adjusted with the compound screw. I ran the spindle in reverse since I was only cutting on the far side of the part. I blued up the ball and tested the fit before I pulled it off the machine.

20171220_124805.jpg

20171220_124443.jpg

20171220_125845.jpg

20171220_130209.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work on a not so easy job, Holescreek!

At the moment I don't have any real use for the ball vise but I've always wanted to learn to engrave. If I start learning now I ought to be just getting good at it by the time I die. I plan to put holes around the base to hold tools as I finish making them.

Edit: I got the chuck key (stainless steel) and the lock pin done this morning. The top of the ball rides on an adjustable bearing surface that allows it to spin freely. The lock pin just keeps it from spinning. Except for the number "1" stamped on all the parts I'm unable to locate a makers mark anywhere. No big deal, just frustrating to an old tool collector.

20171221_130945.jpg

20171221_130930.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up a ball vise Saturday that was missing the base and the chuck key. It was pretty rusted so I glass beaded it and rubbed it down with some scotchbrite. Today I turned a base out of PVC. I wouldn't normally post something so mundane but there was a thread last week where someone wanted to know how to cut a large radius without a radius tool. This one is a 2.75" radius. I put a HSS bit with a large radiused cutting edge in a tool holder and loosened the compound retaining nuts so I could rotate it by hand. The radius size is adjusted with the compound screw. I ran the spindle in reverse since I was only cutting on the far side of the part. I blued up the ball and tested the fit before I pulled it off the machine.
hard rubber tire with 3 nylon screws works well also

At the moment I don't have any real use for the ball vise but I've always wanted to learn to engrave. If I start learning now I ought to be just getting good at it by the time I die. I plan to put holes around the base to hold tools as I finish making them.

Edit: I got the chuck key (stainless steel) and the lock pin done this morning. The top of the ball rides on an adjustable bearing surface that allows it to spin freely. The lock pin just keeps it from spinning. Except for the number "1" stamped on all the parts I'm unable to locate a makers mark anywhere. No big deal, just frustrating to an old tool collector.

Could be that it is shop made.

it is a vice for engraving value about 400

Back