band saw blade wear on vertical Doall Saw

cbellanca

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
What would cause all the kerf on one side of the blade be worn off. The guides are in the proper position the thrust bearing meets the blade to limit movement, and the tension is proper. There is nothing in the housing that could rub the blade. Operated in low speed. setting. The blade was only 4 weeks old and used infrequently on mild steel and aluminum.

Is it the side that runs on the wheels? A picture might help.

Is it the side that runs on the wheels? A picture might help.
Yes it is worn on the tire side I have a new blade that I plan to install Thursday. But would like to prevent the same problem.. I have not checked for tire wear but will do in the morning. No photo yet. Thanks for the tip.

It is a bit odd that the set is gone only on one side. It could be the quality of blade that you are using or wrong blade for the job? I think I changed my blade about 2 years ago and it's still going, have cut everything from wood to tool steel, and use the saw almost daily. Maybe running too fast for the material?

Is it possible that one of the guide bearings is set too close or too far forward? a picture would help.

if the blade was run at one time on a horizontal bandsaw and it was not the proper width blade--there are no tires on wheels with a shoulder so a proper width blade teeth do not ride against the metal--but too narrow of a blade the teeth would wear fast on the metal wheel---if your vertical bandsaw has a good tire then your inside teeth will not wear----if you try to use your bandsaw as a file by trying to just trim the side then your inside teeth could wear especially if the material was hardened--Dave

In order to close this out, all items mentioned above were checked out and found to be normal. This saw is in a friends machine shop and I tried to help him find out why a new saw blade did not last very long. All we can deduce is that someone tried to cut hardened material and ate the blade up.
Thanks all for your input. I sure learned a lot.

Back