Band Saw Drop Cylinder

horty

Registered
Registered
Looking for a good used 18" cylinder for my band saw.
Had an Clipper cylinder but had internal leakage and to costly to repair.

You should rebuild it yourself. All it is a few O rings you could probably get at the hardware store or in a kit from the manufacturer.

You should rebuild it yourself. All it is a few O rings you could probably get at the hardware store or in a kit from the manufacturer.
I could do that but this clipper cylinder is a sealed stainless steel type air cylinder, I did call the clipper company and was told that when this style goes bad, just throw it and but another, the one I have was bent so paid $20, but a new one of the similar kind would be $168, they are made to last many years, but don't care much about that, I don't have that many years left..So was just looking for something simple and at a fair price..
Guess I could make one but I feel really lazy lately.

I built this band saw from scratch a few years ago, so I could do a little modifying to make a shorter one work, I'll just have to sit and stare at this saw for awhile and see what I can come up with..

Keep an eye on Ebay for either Clipper or Bimba, you might find one used for a decent price. Also search industrial surplus companies they might have NOS cylinders for not too much $
You're right the sealed stainless steel ones are not easily rebuildable

Keep an eye on Ebay for either Clipper or Bimba, you might find one used for a decent price. Also search industrial surplus companies they might have NOS cylinders for not too much $
I'm not much of an ebayer but just went there and did a searched, guess I have been missing out, a lot of them came up, used and new..
I should have no trouble finding what I need.
Us old goats usually just look in the newspaper:bang head:
I really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Tim

Glad to help Tim, Ebay has some flakey sellers but often it's the first and best place to look for used items
Biggest problem I've had with them has been (up to just recently) items damaged during shipping
Hopefully that won't happen to you
Mark

I have gotten some incredible deals on used air cyls of all kinds off eBay. It is kind of overwhelming and I hate those clowns who just post those gobblygook # codes and don't tell what dia and stroke are. I just skip them. I was looking for different guided style cyls and was having a hard time until I included "lots" in the search. I got 6 1"dia 1" stroke compact cyls for $40! Those list for $260 ea new. The last one I got was a very special dual slide, 2" dia 6"stroke heavy duty two stage unit that was NOS for $80. If I was to buy new from a supplier it would have been over $600. There are some folks scrapping equipment and some getting rid of NOS.

Looking for a good used 18" cylinder for my band saw.
Had an Clipper cylinder but had internal leakage and to costly to repair.
I've run into those "toss when die" cyls and I hate them. For the most part pneumatics that are minimally taken care of and not used in super high frequency applications seem to last forever. But I've had machines down because of one and loved the fact I could get them going again with a rebuild kit or just a couple of O rings. So the fact it's rebuild able is another search factor along with does it have clevis mounts and air connectors. Because you already have all the bits already you just need the cyl but those who might be reading this and going from scratch this can save you a lot of time trying to dig those parts up later. Those clevis can be made but it's less hassle if it's included which it sometimes is and every manufacturer has their own hardware.

Back