Band saw ID?

MrFixIt

Registered
Registered
Can anyone tell by this pic whether or not this is a metal cutting band saw? Been looking for a vertical one for a bit, but they don't show up very often around here.
I'm guessing this one's wood, but I'm hoping someone here knows for sure:

RD.jpg

TIA!

I've just been going through similar guessing game on a couple of old vertical bandsaws. Nobody knows for sure..

So, Look for saw dust or metal dust on the frame. Should be a good indicator.

Also the teeth on the blade. Wood blades look like dragons teeth compared to metal cutting blades.

The pulley arrangement in the photo looks like its set up for wood cutting. Not much speed reduction...

Glenn

Couldn't zoom the pic but definitely not for real metal, maybe thin aluminum/brass

Thanks guys, looks like I haven't found one yet, but I figured I'd check.

I should have put what little info the ad had in:
Rockwell Delta Band saw w B-Line 1HP motor and stand

I tried to find out if B-line meant anything, but I came up blank.

I thought that looked like a Rockwell. I have a Chinese copy of that one in my shop. Looks like it's set up for wood, but certainly can be geared down to cut metal. I cut everything from wood to annealed tool steel with mine.

Generally, metal cutting band saws will have blade speeds in the order of say 50 to 200 SFM (Surface Feet per Minute). Wood cutting band saws will be faster. Also, metal cutting saws will typically use ball bearings for both the side and back blades. Wood cutting saws usually use a ball bearing only on the back position. The side guides are usually blocks instead of ball bearings.

Looks like the old Rockwell Delta 14" wood cutting band saw they used to make. As Jim said, they used to make a kit that would allow you to gear down the band saw speeds for light duty metal cutting.

Agree with all the rockwell/delta supporters. I have a Taiwan made jet 14" model. If you pull off the upper and lower covers on mine, that's what you see... so it also has the possibility of being an overseas brand. Mine was 600 new back in 1995 ( at that time a new delta would go in the 900 area I think, I'm relying on an old memory:cool: ). not positive what they should bring by you. The Asian models come up on cl every few weeks around here from low 100's to mid 400's

I hope you bought her and have her all cleaned up now

The drive pulley gives it away . It's to small to run slow. If you can get a dc variable right angle drive it'll be a metal cutting saw. You don't need more the 80 rpm at that pulley for steel.

Back