Band saw Rebuild

Plum Creek

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
It seems like the stock I need to cut is always bigger than the saw...hbs hf 003.jpg Soooo last summer I purchased a basket case Jet HBS 8X10 bandsaw.
Several parts were missing, such as the hinge pin, the vice draw system, and the downforce cylinder. The hinge pin was an easily available size round stock,so after having the headworks and motor tested, cleaning, repainting and adding rollers to the base, I have them reassembled. hbs 005.jpg
I decided that the vise draw end would be a reasonable newb milling project and picked up some soft salvage yard steel,hbs 003.jpg (the part on the wood block is the fixed vise block and is similar).
After several hours of working with dull mills and working through all the "why is it doing that", managed to wrest out this blob. Its cross drilled for the 1" draw rod,and tapped on the oppposite side for the through bolts. hbs 006.jpg.
Now I am looking for input an oiler. I was thinking I might add an oiler cap to the end of the block to supply small amounts or oil to the slideways and down onto the draw rod. Assuming that "way oil" would be used How do I calculate the size of the drip holes, and would felt be appropriate to even the rate. The saw will be in heavy use at times but could sit for weeks.
Thanks H

hbs hf 003.jpg hbs 005.jpg hbs 003.jpg hbs 006.jpg

Now picture cutting those pieces by hand. :phew:

I know what you mean about size of work. I have a 9 x 12 saw (good price at a yard sale) and had one piece of cast iron I couldn't get into it.

Back