Band Saw

wvnitroman

Registered
Registered
Some time in the not to distant future I want to buy a band saw. While searching I ran across "Swivel Base/Mitering" band saws. Does anyone here have any experience with them and if so, what are your thoughts?

Reactions: Z2V
I have a Harbor Freight band saw and a much better horizontal/vertical Wells band saw, I seem to always go to the Harbor Freight one for small jobs. I built a large flat table that goes in the vice and over to the blade and is adjustable for both band saws. A swivel base is the way to go if you are spending more money than I did. and if you are doing a lot of miter cuts it really excels.

If you will be cutting iron or steel, make sure the blade runs slow enough, at most 100 feet per minute, should be slower. Power Coolant is nice, too.

Edit: correct typo

If you will be cutting iron or steel, make sure the blade runs slow enough, at most 100 feet per minute, should be slower. Power Coolant is nice, too.

Edit: correct typo
The one I looked at is actually variable speed that goes from 85 to 295 and it has coolant

I often use a DoAll tilting frame saw that works a charm. It will move more then 45°, does excellent miter joints for a saw.
Exactly like this one only more used and dirty.

The vice grips are a nice touch considering that there is a square recess for a square ratchet drive, go figure.

Swivel base saws are nice in that it takes only seconds to go from a straight to an angle cut. The downside is they take up more floor space than the standard horizontal saw that requires the vise angle to be reset when changing cutting angles.

My Startrite H175 bandsaw takes requires floor space of 50" x 21". An 1600 Ellis swivel base saw that is capable of cutting the same size material requires floor space of 59" x 24 3/4". Both saws can be used in either the horizontal or vertical positions.

I just bought a WEN portable band saw. Had lots of good reviews. I like mine. Makes good straight cuts. Variable speed. Has swival feature. Read up on it. It may be something you could use.

Japan Electric Tools. Small footprint, simple, basic, built in coolant pump, converts to vertical saw, BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD

I often use a DoAll tilting frame saw that works a charm. It will move more then 45°, does excellent miter joints for a saw.
Exactly like this one only more used and dirty.

The vice grips are a nice touch considering that there is a square recess for a square ratchet drive, go figure.

That is a nice machine but totally out of my league in price and I don't have near enough. As far as the vise grips go, someone would be looking for a new job. LOL

I have the Vectrax 7" x 10-1/2" mitering, vertical/horizontal gear-head bandsaw. It is quite a nice machine which makes very precise cuts. Gear-head is the way to go. It could use some outriggers to stabilize it when doing large-angle miters. It is shown to the left of the 2 vertical bandsaws.

Back