Bandsaw mods, definitely worth the effort

slow-poke

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a 4x6 King bandsaw and after using it a few times you quickly gain an appreciation for the various modifications well described in the videos. I had already made a quick release table for vertical use. I have now completed most of the other common tweaks.

I decided to make a new vise using steel angle instead of adding a plate to the existing vise. The cut-off catcher plate makes use of the fence from my 16” Delta bandsaw that lives just a few feet away.

I also made a small filler piece with a milled slot to accommodate cutting really small pieces

I have been using this way more than anticipated because it’s just so handy, I’m not sure what I want thinking waiting this long to get a 4x6.

Attachments

• 0D205424-FD03-4457-8A36-4BBB9F537C83.jpeg
    0D205424-FD03-4457-8A36-4BBB9F537C83.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 254
  • FB13C43D-F777-4C78-A2AB-83F4099A456F.jpeg
    FB13C43D-F777-4C78-A2AB-83F4099A456F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Nice work. It's only the beginning.
Many of the details of your saw look vintage, is it new?

The 4x6 is truly among the top 5 must-haves in a small shop. Even with a larger, "better" saw, mine gets used 99% of the time.

MrWhoopee
i found the saw on Kijiji, it was in the unopened original box, it had been sitting in the guys garage for a while, so I’m not sure how old it actually is. After adjusting it, it works very well, I easily slice 1mm of the end of a bar. Price was negotiated down to $300 which seemed quite fair.

Agreed this is up there with the mill and lathe for must have tools for the tool crazy.

The funny looking handle on the LHS is from an old fireplace poker, I used what was in the scrap bin. The blue one is from the original tool post that was on my lathe before I upgraded to a quick change, and the black quick release is from Lee Valey. The spin handle is surplus from my mill when I converted it to CNC

Last edited:
MrWhoopee
i found the saw on Kijiji, it was in the unopened original box, it had been sitting in the guys garage for a while, so I’m not sure how old it actually is. After adjusting it, it works very well, I easily slice 1mm of the end of a bar. Price was negotiated down to $300 which seemed quite fair.

Agreed this is up there with the mill and lathe for must have tools for the tool crazy.
After looking up the King saw online, this appears to be the current model. Based on retail, you got a good deal. Prices are definitely higher up north, even after adjusting for the exchange rate. Many of the details of that saw are similar to a 1983 model I was given a couple of years ago. I didn't need 2, so here's what it looks like now.

20210813_111515.jpg

That’s interesting, I had the exact same idea if I get another for really cheap. Looks like you could gain a small amount of clearance if the blade guides are rotated when setup like this so you can cut a slightly wider piece than when simply flipped up.

That’s interesting, I had the exact same idea if I get another for really cheap. Looks like you could gain a small amount of clearance if the blade guides are rotated when setup like this so you can cut a slightly wider piece than when simply flipped up.
With the stock setup, the throat is only about 2 inches.. By making straight guide supports and a little frame mod I got it to just under 6 in.

After looking up the King saw online, this appears to be the current model. Based on retail, you got a good deal. Prices are definitely higher up north, even after adjusting for the exchange rate. Many of the details of that saw are similar to a 1983 model I was given a couple of years ago. I didn't need 2, so here's what it looks like now.

View attachment 382913
I’ve been thinking of doing what you did here @MrWhoopee

i have an older horizontal saw I picked up cheap a while back but it lives outside due to space concerns. I grew up with my dads old craftsman vertical and I have a cold saw for cutofff work. But, I really miss having a vertical in my CA shop.

I know you did a write-up so maybe this is a winter project.

John

Back