Bandsaw Quandry

Gaffer

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've wanted a vertical bandsaw for a while now. Like most of you,, space is a premium. I have a 14" cutoff saw and a HEM NG120XL. The Hem is amazing and I love it, but sometimes one needs a vertical. I have enough restoration/repair projects that I'm not looking to convert a wood saw. I see them offered all the time. What say you? This is my HEM:
IMG_7350.jpg

I found a HF 4X6 horizontal/vertical combo saw on CL. He says it lightly used and comes with two additional belts still in their packaging. He's asking $150 for all and it seems too good to pass up. Knowing this crowd are enablers, as I am, is there a clever solution to make the tools I have work or shall I take the plunge - assuming it hasn't sold?

Buy the HF H/V combo saw. You say you don't want another project which is what you will have if you try to mod your current saw to be a vertical saw. Projects can get forever delayed. I am in the process of converting my wood band saw to metal. I have maybe an hour or two at the most to finish the conversion. Yet never seem to find the time to finish the job.

I do as much stock reduction as I can before going to the mill. The H/V handsaw is my tool for that job. I would not want to be without it. I would go and get it.

If you don't already have a 4x6 this is a no-brainer. Bang for the buck rates right up with a 6x48 belt sander.

I have a 4x6 HF saw I’ve had for 30yrs and while I think it’s a good horizontal saw, it’s not that great of a vertical saw. It needs some mods to be truly safe like some kind of support(or it will tip over backwards if you really push on it)a real table, And a good base. I wouldn’t be without it but it looks like you already have good horizontal saw.

I guess you could mod it to become a good basis for a vertical saw, but it still not as good as say a true vertical saw. I have a 14” HF vertical and it has become the most frequently used machine in the shop. I couldn’t live without either as they are great for their specific purposes. Just my 2c.

Thanks everyone. I'll report back if it hasn't sold.

I am 100% pleased with my converted sears vertical wood/now metal saw. I use it much more than I had anticipated.

I picked it up today. It's complete and in good condition. The seller claimed it only had about two hours on it. It came with the owner's manual and all. Thanks everyone.

Back