Bandsaw Tires - Rubber or Urethane?

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter Gold Member
About 8 months ago I picked up a used Delta Wood/Metal bandsaw model 28-380. (yes I know, no pictures it didn't happen) I have just started to work on it and I'm sure I'm months away from needing tires but my question is for metal cutting are rubber or urethane tires preferred? This saw will probably only be used for metal. There is much other work to be done on the machine, pictures soon!

This is an oldie but goodie. Most wood cutting bandsaws run too fast for cutting metal, this one may actually be able to be slowed down enough for metal.

Delta 28-380 at Vintage Machinery

I think rubber would be the original material. Urethane tires are likely easier to find these days.

I have a wood cutting bandsaw, which has urethane tires. I do not have experience with metal bandsaws, so not able to comment on the tire material when cutting metal.

One source for urethane tires and bandsaw blades. There are many other sources.

Timberwolf bandsaw urethane tires

Last edited:
If your wheels have a crown, get the urethane. If your wheels do not have a crown, you will have to get the rubber and crown them yourself. You do this with a chisel while it is turning.. yea I know.. WTH your saying. That's how they crowned the old ones.

My wood machine has urethane. They do what they need to. The urethane are easier to put on, do not require glue.. The rubber require gluing.

I Put urethane tires on mine two years ago, working good so far, made a brush to deflect chips off wheels helps.

i did the same as dlane, works great converted mine to cut metal and wood. Use my welded up blade from bulk do all material. I added a tread mill motor and that is it, no gear reduction at all works great.

101_0579.JPG

I have a Grizzly 17" band saw, can cut wood or metal although I only cut wood on it. Have another Grizzly metal cutting band saw in the metal shop. I recently had to put new tires on the wood saw as the old urethane tires wore out. I bought the new tires from Bandsaw Tire Warehouse on E Bay. They are blue urethane and warrenteed for life. They do work great. I have no affiliation with the store, only a consumer.

About 8 months ago I picked up a used Delta Wood/Metal bandsaw ... are rubber or urethane tires preferred?

Either work well; I got replacements for my original (rubber) when they cracked and came loose, and in a couple of years
of local weather and air quality the 'new' rubber belts came apart, too. Spent a little more money to get
urethane ones from an eBay merchant with lots of past sales, and am happy with them.

My band saw is for metal only, and it does not not have tyres just a metal wheel The wheels are made such that the teeth are free from the wheel. the back of the blade runs against a flange. I suspect with rubber tyres that you will get a lot of fine metal pieces impregnated into the tyre. urethane tyres would be the same..

On my 14" HF knockoff that I converted to metal I use the urethane and installed a couple of brushes to knock off the chips and deflect them. Also put a nozzle to hook up to the shop vac if I'm really getting after it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back