[4]

Bandsaw

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

MattM

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I'm thinking on getting a new (better) vertical bandsaw. Should I buy new, about $1600-2000 from Grizzy, or buy a wood machine off CL and convert it? I have a Baldor 1HP 3 phase motor and can install a VFD for about $400.00

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
What do you have now?

Mitch Alsup

Registered
The only metal cutting vertical bandsaw at Grizzly is the 14" VFD, I own one, and it is a nice bandsaw.
I cut Al 6061, mild steel, and it does just fine.
If I were to do it all over again, I would step up at least one size (17").
Also: owning one for a nearly 2 years impressed upon me that one really needs 2 bandsaws, one to cut stock to size (probably horizontal), and another for odds and ends (the vertical one).

MattM

Active User
I'm thinking on getting a new (better) vertical bandsaw. Should I buy new, about $1600-2000 from Grizzy, or buy a wood machine off CL and convert it? I have a Baldor 1HP 3 phase motor and can install a VFD for about $400.00
What do you have now?

I have a big Johnson Horizontal bandsaw that I intend to keep. Also have a large Keller Power hacksaw that I recently restored and intend to keep.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Ahh, OK. I like to modify machines so I would opt for the Craigslist band saw and make it a metal cutting saw. I picked up one of the 14 inch Chinese clones at auction for $25, and installed a 2 speed 1/2 hp motor and 30:1 gearbox on it. Works great. I have a step pulley system on mine, don't remember the the top speed, but the lowest speed is about 60FPM for cutting tool steel. A 3 phase motor with a VFD would be an ideal way to go, maybe I'll do that to mine one day.

mickri

Registered
I bought an old Dunlap 12" bandsaw that was in good condition off CL for $75. It is going to cost me $100 plus or minus for the pulleys and other bits and pieces to reduce the blade speed down for metal cutting.

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
This is my DoAll Converted band filer to a saw, the guy that built it did a good job. VS 15” , 220v 1ph 114” blades .
EB90662D-DEA0-4107-BBC0-4320ABF72A0C.jpeg 2E813A25-C4EF-44FE-B0A1-BAF7AD3EFBD2.jpeg

Last edited:

Downwindtracker2

Active User
Registered
I don't know anything about Grizzly vertical metal bandsaws, but wood bandsaws are finicky at best. The Delta clones, and even the Delta, their blade tension and tracking adjustment is pot metal. To achieve good performance in just wood, you need to tension the blade a fair bit. Sturdy aftermarket parts are available. Metal cutting even requires more tension. From experience 1 hp is about right for a 14" wood bandsaw.

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
VFD alone won't be enough alone for speed reduction, you will still need other reduction, gearbox, belts and/or roller chain.

bhigdog

Registered
No shortage of used Do All's at reasonable prices. Wood, metal, friction saw, blades for most any use. They do it all. I got my 16" off of EBay. Neglected but not abused complete with blade welder and starter for $400..................Bob

bhigdog

Registered
No shortage of used Do All's at reasonable prices. Wood, metal, friction saw, blades for most any use. They do it all. I got my 16" off of EBay. Neglected but not abused complete with blade welder and starter for $400. There's several on my local CL including a nice looking 20" for $450.................Bob

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
No shortage of used Do All's at reasonable prices. Wood, metal, friction saw, blades for most any use. They do it all. I got my 16" off of EBay. Neglected but not abused complete with blade welder and starter for $400..................Bob

Perhaps where you live that's true, but in the Northwest where the OP lives that is certainly not the case. Do All's rarely come up at all and when
they do it's for a lot more that $400.00. Most of the stuff of CL around here is cheap Chinese 14" saws, with the occasional larger American
machine. Metal cutting vertical saws are rare around here.

MattM

Active User
Perhaps where you live that's true, but in the Northwest where the OP lives that is certainly not the case. Do All's rarely come up at all and when
they do it's for a lot more that $400.00. Most of the stuff of CL around here is cheap Chinese 14" saws, with the occasional larger American
Very true. I never heard of a Do All or saw one before posting.

Nogoingback

Did you see the Rogers 20" wood saw on CL? It's in Roseburg, so your neck of the woods. You'd have to convert it, but if you have
a $1600.000 budget, you've got lots of headroom to do it.

00V0V_5GMVc7EzIcO_600x450.jpg

https://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/d/rogers-industrial-20-in-wood/6746388758.html

MattM

Active User

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
It all depends on your area I guess as DoAll's around here start in rough condition around $1000 and the sky is the limit or whatever they think they can get after that. Like JimDawson I found an old 14" clone for $50 and did a double pulley reduction on it to get 110ft blade speed. The "pot metal" parts like tensioner etc are cheap and plentiful and if adjusted properly hold up just fine for what I do. Same with all the other parts. I spent the most on a Carter ball bearing guide and all in spent <$300. I love this saw because like all HF I have no qualms about modifying the daylights out of it. The mod I'm working on right now is making an air powered auto feed sled inspired by another members gravity feed on his 14" bandsaw. It's been a wonderful addition as I further mod and add features. I use that bandsaw the most of any power tool right now. Obviously one man's deal is another man's crap and YMMV.

Nogoingback

Dave Smith

Active User
too bad you don't live closer---I have a nice carolina industrial horizontal / vertical bandsaw I would part with for $450-----a 14" vertical that I am working on that is for metal (about $300 for it)------convert an old wood saw adding a gearbox or pulleys and have less than $500 in it----Dave

bhigdog

Registered
That's unfortunate. I had no idea. Quite common around here. Right now on my local CL there's 3 of them including a nice looking Do All for $450 and a Powermatic 20" for $1150. Both asking price. It actually mite be worth shipping the Do All...........Bob

MattM

Active User

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
I got tired of waiting and General went out of business so I bought this one (less than half of retail) out of frustration. I stillhave room in my shop for a real General 14" metal bandsaw, and I'll find one someday!

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/vertical-wood-metal-bandsaw-18in-cx-series-cx101.html

I really like Jim's conversion - I might have tried it if i could have found a cheap donor bandsaw to start with. The cheapeast used here is well over $1000 unless it is broken offshore junk. So I went with what I could get.

Cadillac STS

Active User
I would say if you can go ahead and buy new. The Bandsaw is a key piece of equipment to have and a nice new tool will work out of the crate no problem.

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
I got tired of waiting and General went out of business so I bought this one (less than half of retail) out of frustration. I stillhave room in my shop for a real General 14" metal bandsaw, and I'll find one someday!

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/vertical-wood-metal-bandsaw-18in-cx-series-cx101.html

I really like Jim's conversion - I might have tried it if i could have found a cheap donor bandsaw to start with. The cheapeast used here is well over $1000 unless it is broken offshore junk. So I went with what I could get.
Nice saw Dabbler! Sometimes I wish mine was not single speed but 99% of time now I'm doing metal and don't need to change speed or blade. But once you get a verticle saw set up right you will never go back to futzing with standing up a horizontal to use a verticle again.

It is weird how prices vary depending on the area. Because of this discussion I scanned CL from LA to SF and there was a couple of DoAll and others, all between $1500-3,000. One ancient 14" in rough shape for $300, pass. Makes me even more happy with what I've got.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)

That's one sweet metal cutting bandsaw, , must be perfect for cutting thick aluminum or mild steel, I'm so frustrated with my portable Milwaukee bandsaw right now you wouldn't believe, as soon as I cut anything thicker that 1/2" 6" long, I break the blade, I have gone through 3 blades already, it doesn't matter what I do, Itry slow feed, use lube, nothing seem to work, this portaband is very limited to short cuts. no curve cuts either.
A bigger bandsaw like the one you linked will go through thick/ thin, aluminum, steel etc. I need to get me one of these saws.

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
Ken I got it at a really good price. At the current price I couldn't afford it... I would have preferred a Do-All or similar, or a General - but the 14" general at the time was more than twice the price - like $3800... If I find a used one I'll still buy it if I can afford it. They are a workhorse and the best you can get here normally. I've cut 1" steel with it, but at 200FPM it doesn't have much oomph.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
. I've cut 1" steel with it, but at 200FPM it doesn't have much oomph.
But it does the job without much fuss,the problem I find with smaller bandsaws is their blades suffer from metal fatigue due to their short length and the heat that's created during a cut,my next vertical bandsaw will be the size that uses 90" + long blades, less chance of them breaking (within reason) and you can cut wide curves.

[6]
[5] [7]