Bandsaw

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm thinking on getting a new (better) vertical bandsaw. Should I buy new, about $1600-2000 from Grizzy, or buy a wood machine off CL and convert it? I have a Baldor 1HP 3 phase motor and can install a VFD for about $400.00

What do you have now?

The only metal cutting vertical bandsaw at Grizzly is the 14" VFD, I own one, and it is a nice bandsaw.
I cut Al 6061, mild steel, and it does just fine.
If I were to do it all over again, I would step up at least one size (17").
Also: owning one for a nearly 2 years impressed upon me that one really needs 2 bandsaws, one to cut stock to size (probably horizontal), and another for odds and ends (the vertical one).

I'm thinking on getting a new (better) vertical bandsaw. Should I buy new, about $1600-2000 from Grizzy, or buy a wood machine off CL and convert it? I have a Baldor 1HP 3 phase motor and can install a VFD for about $400.00
What do you have now?

I have a big Johnson Horizontal bandsaw that I intend to keep. Also have a large Keller Power hacksaw that I recently restored and intend to keep.

Ahh, OK. I like to modify machines so I would opt for the Craigslist band saw and make it a metal cutting saw. I picked up one of the 14 inch Chinese clones at auction for $25, and installed a 2 speed 1/2 hp motor and 30:1 gearbox on it. Works great. I have a step pulley system on mine, don't remember the the top speed, but the lowest speed is about 60FPM for cutting tool steel. A 3 phase motor with a VFD would be an ideal way to go, maybe I'll do that to mine one day.

I bought an old Dunlap 12" bandsaw that was in good condition off CL for $75. It is going to cost me $100 plus or minus for the pulleys and other bits and pieces to reduce the blade speed down for metal cutting.

I don't know anything about Grizzly vertical metal bandsaws, but wood bandsaws are finicky at best. The Delta clones, and even the Delta, their blade tension and tracking adjustment is pot metal. To achieve good performance in just wood, you need to tension the blade a fair bit. Sturdy aftermarket parts are available. Metal cutting even requires more tension. From experience 1 hp is about right for a 14" wood bandsaw.

Back