Bandsaw

VFD alone won't be enough alone for speed reduction, you will still need other reduction, gearbox, belts and/or roller chain.

No shortage of used Do All's at reasonable prices. Wood, metal, friction saw, blades for most any use. They do it all. I got my 16" off of EBay. Neglected but not abused complete with blade welder and starter for $400..................Bob

No shortage of used Do All's at reasonable prices. Wood, metal, friction saw, blades for most any use. They do it all. I got my 16" off of EBay. Neglected but not abused complete with blade welder and starter for $400. There's several on my local CL including a nice looking 20" for $450.................Bob

No shortage of used Do All's at reasonable prices. Wood, metal, friction saw, blades for most any use. They do it all. I got my 16" off of EBay. Neglected but not abused complete with blade welder and starter for $400..................Bob

Perhaps where you live that's true, but in the Northwest where the OP lives that is certainly not the case. Do All's rarely come up at all and when
they do it's for a lot more that $400.00. Most of the stuff of CL around here is cheap Chinese 14" saws, with the occasional larger American
machine. Metal cutting vertical saws are rare around here.

Perhaps where you live that's true, but in the Northwest where the OP lives that is certainly not the case. Do All's rarely come up at all and when
they do it's for a lot more that $400.00. Most of the stuff of CL around here is cheap Chinese 14" saws, with the occasional larger American
machine. Metal cutting vertical saws are rare around here.

Very true. I never heard of a Do All or saw one before posting.

I'm thinking on getting a new (better) vertical bandsaw. Should I buy new, about $1600-2000 from Grizzy, or buy a wood machine off CL and convert it? I have a Baldor 1HP 3 phase motor and can install a VFD for about $400.00

Did you see the Rogers 20" wood saw on CL? It's in Roseburg, so your neck of the woods. You'd have to convert it, but if you have
a $1600.000 budget, you've got lots of headroom to do it.

00V0V_5GMVc7EzIcO_600x450.jpg

https://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/d/rogers-industrial-20-in-wood/6746388758.html

It all depends on your area I guess as DoAll's around here start in rough condition around $1000 and the sky is the limit or whatever they think they can get after that. Like JimDawson I found an old 14" clone for $50 and did a double pulley reduction on it to get 110ft blade speed. The "pot metal" parts like tensioner etc are cheap and plentiful and if adjusted properly hold up just fine for what I do. Same with all the other parts. I spent the most on a Carter ball bearing guide and all in spent <$300. I love this saw because like all HF I have no qualms about modifying the daylights out of it. The mod I'm working on right now is making an air powered auto feed sled inspired by another members gravity feed on his 14" bandsaw. It's been a wonderful addition as I further mod and add features. I use that bandsaw the most of any power tool right now. Obviously one man's deal is another man's crap and YMMV.

Back