Bar whip in a lathe

@higgite, if you watch closely the machine is walking away from him as he is trying to find the button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somebody needs to tell that guy ''It's the big RED one'' :grin: I'm surprised the spindle took that long to stop, if I hit the E stop with the spindle running on mine and it energizes the brake.

Something like this happened to my lathe at sometime in it's life. The fan housing and electrical box on the spindle drive motor was broken and the inside if the cabinet is beat up in a couple of places. We are really careful with unsupported stock, and have proper spindle liners for the sizes we run. Maximum length we run in this lathe is 48 inches which gives a maximum of about 8 inches of unsupported stock. Bottom line is be really careful with long stock in your lathe !

You can see the dent in the cabinet just to the right of the hydraulic hose on the spindle. No evidence of other damage, but if it had hit the hydraulic manifold it could have gotten really expensive. Looks like I need to clean the fan screen. :)
1548343342513.png

vctnc, I saw that, but I’m afraid I don’t get your point. My comment about which button he hit in the heat of battle was referring to the machine continuing to slowly rotate after he had assumedly hit a stop button. A perhaps feeble attempt at humor on my part.

Tom
Sorry...LOL. What I should have said is that whether it was an E-stop or spindle speed dial, or something, that machine wasn't going to let him push it the first time! :)

...wondering if he hit the emergency stop button or just the emergency slow down button.

The easiest cutoff to reach on the old LeBlond lathe was, as I recall, the clutch. Maybe the spindle is just freewheeling while
the operator does his urgent breathing-control exercises.

Don'tcha hate when that happens ? :eek: Lathe not lagged down , not that it would've mattered .

Years back I worked in a closed door top secret lab doing weapons work for the gov . We ran 2 shifts , daylight and evening shift till 12.12 am . The HMFIC was an old German guy . Very nice BUT very strict and ran a tight ship . Anyways I moved over to the evening shift and we used to run G jobs after hours , making potato cannons , flare guns , whatever . So one day we get a surprise meeting with JB the boss , saying he doesn't mind us doing that after hours as long as caution was taken , safety first , and security had to be notified as to we were in the lab at night .

That same night , my buddy wrapped a bar in the back of a Harding HLV-H lathe at 3000 rpm . :grin: Not funny then , but a memory never forgotten , and can be laughed at today . I thought a helicopter was taking off in the shop ! Broke all the guards off the machine , totally destroyed a Kennedy top , middle and roll-around , threw stuff around the shop like no tomorrow , and walked that HLV-H across the floor like nothing ! o_O

Ah ......................the G jobs ended the next day . :(

Been there... done that... 20-something years ago, I chucked a 1/2 inch copper rod up, hanging out the back of the lathe about 3 feet... I was just going to turn it on at 50 rpm or so and part off some blanks to turn into sinker EDM electrodes.

It was after I engaged the spindle that I realized I had left the lathe in high gear instead of shifting it into low... it spun up to 500 rpms, and the rod beat holes in the steel tooling cabinet beside the lathe...

It is amazing how long it takes to find the 'off' button when something like this happens...

-Bear

Also, while we are discussing emergency stop buttons...

I run a large CNC vertical turret lathe at work... it has a large red E-Stop button and a small black 'reset' button... on that particular machine, if something happens, it is best to hit the reset button instead of the E-Stop... the E-Stop cuts power to everything, but the machine continues to 'coast' to a stop... but the reset button stops everything immediately...

Definately a poor design, IMO...

-Bear

I wouldnt be suprized if the spindle is not cracked on that lathe

A few months ago I was doing some research on stands for workholding and came across a fatality that was caused by a 3/4" steel extending out from the headstock - with a stand under it. The stand looked like it just fell over and the bar was invisible. the operator didn't even see it coming.

It turns out that the recommendation is that the stand not only enclose the barstock, but that the stand be weighted very heavily with a wide base. Mine weighs over 60 lbs, but I have to make a way to increase its footprint to be safe (mine is a 14" per side triangle - the recommendation is 30")

Back