Bar whip in a lathe

I've seen the aftermath of bar whip many years ago with an Okuma lathe and 1" bar stock. I cut off the bent piece of bar stock and kept it in my office for a long time. It's a direct result of management wanting to run the lathe like it has a bar feeder without actually spending the money to buy one. The feeder housing IS the containment required to run safely.

oh god, that was brutal. Poor guy.

Big machines, big trouble.
it even comes from the same shop. they have almost no safety. my grandpa about 40 years ago was at work and was drilling a 1/4 inch piece of steel and it caught and spun. he only got a minor scar. Also at the same place he was using a 16 inch grinder. it tore off this thumb but they could stitch it back on. He knew someone there who was grinding with a 5 gallon bucket full of paint thinner open. It caught fire and he threw a 60 pound plate of steel on it to snuff it. the bucket blew up and nearly burnt down the place. he was the safest person there.

I read quite a few medical reports on lathe accidents and safety recommendations when I started looking at lathes, the typical was clothing, jewelry and long hair getting caught in the chuck with pretty nasty consequences. A number of incidents with stock bar whip, in one unfortunate report the operator was spared injury but the bar broke, went across the shop and hit a women co-worker in the head, she did not survive. It is too easy to get complacent or distracted, even for the experienced machinist. Also whenever I try to take shortcuts, I usually make more mistakes and remind myself do it correctly the first time, even if it takes a bit longer.

Assuming a 5 hp motor on the press (which may be on the small side), there would be 450 lb-ft. of torque and on a 3 ft. lever, it would require 150 lbs to keep it from spinning if the tool grabbed.

It would seem that an anti-rotation device should be in place to prevent objects larger than the table from causing this sort of an accident.

I would be concerned that they tried to have him stand and then carried him out. That could exagerate any internal injuries he might have sustained.
I don't quite understand what that was all about either. Seems to me the best thing to do would be to call emergency services and not move him??

Back