Barker Horizontal Mill Question?

macrnr

Active User
Registered
Greetings, I am in the process of rebuilding an old Barker Horizontal Mill and I wondering how to deal with the spindle bearings. The machine was built in 1958, and there are indications the bearings have been changed. The machine has oil cups, but it has roller bearings installed. Do the roller bearings need to be packed with grease, or will the oil cups with spindle oil do the job. The machine has been sitting for years, so it is hard to tell what was in the bearings originally. The Barker parts manual just calls out "bearings", no parts number to indicate what the original bearings where. I have stripped the paint, cleaned and am now reassembling. Neat little machine, just wish I knew how to use it!

barker.JPG

After continuing the reassembly, it became evident that spindle oil is the correct means of lubrication. I finished everything today, except the motor. The old one is shot, and I need to get a new one. Pretty nice machine.

finished barker.JPG

I also have one of these mills it also has bearing with oilers. I guess this is how they are set up.

Back