Barker Mill Arbor Support

wlburton

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
The topic of arbor supports for these little horizontal mills came up in the Yahoo Barker Mill group and since I can't figure out how to post photographs there (and everyone there is probably here anyway) I thought I would post a photo of the one I made. The Barker (without a motor and needing a lot of cleaning) was basically thrown in when I bought my Clausing 8520. It included a n.o.s. arbor but no arbor support so in order to get the mill fully functional (even though I'm not sure what I'm going to use it for) I made one and this is what it looks like. It was partly inspired by drawings that had been contributed by a group member, Dirk Tollenaar.
Bill Burton

Barker Arbor Support (1).jpg

Nice job Bill I like how it came out, I am planning on using an angle plate initially to mount my vice and use end mills held in a collet. I have been looking around in scrap bins for the materials needed for the arbor support and have just about what I need squirreled away now. TJ

The topic of arbor supports for these little horizontal mills came up in the Yahoo Barker Mill group and since I can't figure out how to post photographs there (and everyone there is probably here anyway) I thought I would post a photo of the one I made. The Barker (without a motor and needing a lot of cleaning) was basically thrown in when I bought my Clausing 8520. It included a n.o.s. arbor but no arbor support so in order to get the mill fully functional (even though I'm not sure what I'm going to use it for) I made one and this is what it looks like. It was partly inspired by drawings that had been contributed by a group member, Dirk Tollenaar.
Bill Burton

View attachment 275680
Nice job! Now you just need the overarm support...

What does the end of the shaft turn in a bushing or a needle bearing ?TJ

What does the end of the shaft turn in a bushing or a needle bearing ?TJ
I used a needle bearing but I think a bronze bushing would work just as well. That's what my Atlas MFC uses.

I got lucky over the weekend at a flea market and picked up an old Lathe carriage with the compound still attached all stuck from sitting. Both feeds are acme screw with the graduated dials and they cleaned up nicely , they will easily adapt to the Barker for the Y & Z axis' and for 5 bucks they were a steal ! I have something else in the works for the X axis, just have to see how it plays out. Hopefully I get some shop time this year when it gets cold out. TJ

This is the compound /carraige assy that I picked up for my Barker . I have found it's an Atlas conversion piece to allow you to use your wood lathe for metal use. Must have been a bear with no carraige crank, it was basically fixed to the bed. Better than no lathe I guess.TJ

IMG_20181003_110551798.jpg

One thing that I have been thinking about the arbor support is mounting it on blocks outside of the base so I can have some adjustment on the Y axis without moving the vice or moving the work in the vice. If everything it mounted solid on a thick steel bench top I think it will be solid enough for my needs. I think I can see myself using the mill in the horizontal position more often if it works as planned. TJ

Back