Barnes Lathe repairs

skeptonomicon

Registered
Registered
I bought a Barnes 13", with the geared apron. It looks to be in good shape but out of whack a bit. Primarily it looks like the carriage is sitting on the v grove below the ways rather than than resting on the ways. Not sure if this is normal or not. Also the rack and pinion gear are not fully engaged, like the carriage and apron are riding too low. I know this is not right, but not sure if it is a problem with the rack, which is not original, or related to the carriage riding low. Any info would be helpful. I am thinking there are going to be a lot of similarities between this lathe and a Barnes 4, 4.5, or 5, so maybe some of the Barnes people can give me some guidance.

It could be wear or something else- post some pics as soon as you are able
-Mark

It is partially disassembled. And for the record, the gas cans are not there during Lathe operations.

This is a closeup of the V groove that the carriage rides on and the ways, which everything else rides on. Also a picture of the upside down carriage. You can see the smooth shiny surface that rides on the flat at the bottom of the v-groove, and the not at all shiny surface that rides a few mm above the ways. From the wear on the carriage, it has at lease been riding on the bottom of the v-groove for many decades of use, and might be normal??PXL_20210606_133953951.jpg

PXL_20210606_133931905.jpg

Another picture of the ways and groove, as well as a picture of the rack. The rack is made of several pieces of different lengths. Some of the broken teeth have had studs screwed in and filed to be marginally functional. With the rack and pinion un-aligned, the backlash is far beyond what would be noticeable from the stud-teeth.PXL_20210606_134020077.jpgPXL_20210606_133752740.jpg

The lathe is in disassembled condition right now. All the parts are there including the head and tail, as well as the rest of the carriage assembly, and steady rests, collets, gears, centers, chucks, etc.

If you are concerned about the rack, you could probably replace it from McMaster Carr.
She is an old beauty, showing her character

Back