Barnes Lathe repairs

Another picture of the ways and groove, as well as a picture of the rack. The rack is made of several pieces of different lengths. Some of the broken teeth have had studs screwed in and filed to be marginally functional. With the rack and pinion un-aligned, the backlash is far beyond what would be noticeable from the stud-teeth.View attachment 368335View attachment 368334
very pretty
Just to qualify Sorry
Price that machine!

Update on the gear rack. I took some better measurements and it looks like a 9 DP 14.5 degree taper rack. Not good news as they really don't make 9 DP racks. This sort of makes sense in a way since during the era this was built, it was all hand operations. Screws were turned rather than purchased, and a 9DP rack was just as easy to make as an 8 or 10. I also am going to need some square head socket wrenches as it was easier for them to make square head screws than hex head, so it is covered with square head screws.
I am also going to measure the pinion that rides on the rack to make sure that it is really matched to the rack. As I initially mentioned, it has a lot of play.

I bought a Barnes 13", with the geared apron. It looks to be in good shape but out of whack a bit. Primarily it looks like the carriage is sitting on the v grove below the ways rather than than resting on the ways. Not sure if this is normal or not. <Snip>
Hi Skeptonomicron.
I have a Barnes 4 1/2, built (I believe) in 1894. Yes Barnes Lathes indicate off the V groove} Head, Carriage, Steady-rest, and Tail Stock, it is a selling point in their literature... Sorry I cannot post links, yet... ;)

Back