Barrel fluting

You don't need a rotary table or an indexer to flute a barrel. I made up some hex nuts for both ends of the barrel and use them for indexing. Clamp the barrel down directly to the mill table, use a coupla 5/8" dowels pressed snuggly into the T slots for a locating stops, and another positive stop on the end of the barrel.
Don't use a ball endmill....it will walk. Use a horizontal type cutter.

Pretty interesting I've seen a few YouTube videos with it done similar. I'm wanting to pick up rotary table for other projects. Im definitely leaning towards the saw style cutter

You don't need a rotary table or an indexer to flute a barrel. I made up some hex nuts for both ends of the barrel and use them for indexing. Clamp the barrel down directly to the mill table, use a coupla 5/8" dowels pressed snuggly into the T slots for a locating stops, and another positive stop on the end of the barrel.

I agree, use a horizontal cutter to get a glass smooth flute in the barrel. As a bonus the flute will taper at each end, I like the look.

Do you have any pictures of your setup I would love to see how you did it

Dref, thanks for the pictures!!! How are you attaching the hex nut on the muzzle end?

On that particular barrel the muzzle is threaded. For non threaded muzzles, I use a nut with a 1" through hole and a delrin bushing machined to fit the muzzle snug. I have many nuts in different threads for different jobs. I have one for AR's that slips on the barrel extension and has a slot for the alignment pin and is then held with a set screw.

Is there a functional reason for fluting? I know next to nothing about this.

Is there a functional reason for fluting? I know next to nothing about this.
Some say to save weight I removed 13 1/2 ounces on a 8 pound barrel. Some say it stiffens the barrel most I think do it for looks. I’m probably going to only carry it from the safe to the truck and the truck to the bench. I think I did it more to see if I could and the coolness factor was part of the reason.

Back