Barrel stub help

Olddaddy

Registered
Registered
I’m looking for someone willing to do the threading for a stub barrel project. Barring that, someone willing to hand hold me through the project. I have a 20 ga HR barrel for the stub and will buy a blank for the barrel. I’ve got a lathe, but no threading tooling. I’m fairly competent, but not fairly confident. Advice and help greatly appreciated.

Tell us exactly what you are building.

Sure, I'm building an H&R Classic Carbine that I want chambered in .327 Federal. I have an SB2 receiver and a 20ga barrel for the stub. I'd like to end up with a barrel somewhere between 16"-18". I'm not concerned about taper on the outside of the barrel, it can be straight.

I've built many muzzle loading rifles on the same set up. Cut the barrel off right where the contour starts, about 1/4" ahead of the lug. I bored the stub and tapped for 7/8-14. Thread the barrel and screw it in. Then you need to cut a groove for the extractor. You will have add to the extractor claw so it will reach the rim on that case. I don't believe H&R parts are available anymore.

I thought about doing this but was concerned about wall thickness. I wanted a .458 bore smokeless ML. How much is minimum for the thread to be safe?

I have no idea what minimum thread size would be, that's why I went maximum. I mated up surplus .50 cal barrels to the stub with 7/8-14 thread. I also used a 5/8" dia. breech plug approx 2" long that was simply a slip in fit, using an "O" ring and a tapered nose for sealing out gases. It had a built in extractor that laid over the shotgun extractor to eject the 209 primers when the breech was opened. I drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 hole on the left side of the barrel and used a dog pointed set screw to keep the breech plug from rotation and ejecting with the primer.

If I were to build one for smokeless powder, I would make the barrel solid all the way back and tig weld the lug to it, like the factory Handi-rifle barrels.

Turn your barrel to fit inside the shot gun barrel.epoxy it in..no threading needed..

That would be the easiest way, providing the shotgun barrel is still intact....

I think you are misunderstanding the situation. He's speaking of sleeving the shotgun barrel with a rifle barrel. In this case you would leave a shoulder on the rifle barrel that seats inside the shotgun barrel. The chamber area of the rifle barrel would be the same size as a 20 ga. chamber, and the rest of the diameter is still larger than most pistol barrels. All the epoxy does is hold it in place.

Back