Basic 1 part cutter grinder for a cross slide

MarkNotts

Registered
Registered
Just doodling on my laptop in 3dsmax and I think I've come up with something, although it's set at 7 degrees so angles are none adjustable for clearances and 1 rake angle..

This is a Perspective shot and reference is a 150mm grinding wheel which will be arbored on the lathe, cross slide top is 50x50mm ( Sieg C3 max 2600rpm ) and the lathe tooling for the Sieg

perspective.jpg

Front Clearance from front

front clearances .jpg

and top, notice the grinder block has 2 through holes for positioning, important for the side clearance because of cross slide travel, top rakes are done by changing the topslide compound angle and ground with the curved edge of the wheel not the face, tool bit extended if needed, this will be cutting above wheel center so the rake could be severe!

front clearances tool post position.jpg

Side Clearance Top view using the other through hole to hold the block 40mm further forward so the tool can reach the edge of the grinding wheel

side clearances tool post position.jpg

Side Clearance back view

side clearances .jpg

has anyone got any thoughts on this? all it would take ( sizing for my fastest lathe ) is a block of steel 120mm Long, 50mm wide and 40mm thick plus 6x M6 Cap screws, plus a bit of milling on the Myford VMC :)

If you really need to do this, it's the same as using a tool post grinder, and in some situations it is the only way. You just have to be very disciplined from the start.

First clean the lathe down oil it, then cover as much as possible with an old sheet or some shop rag on a roll is pretty good.

set up your grinding equipment. Preferably if you can set up an exhaust hood over the grinding wheel and underneath, wherever the sparks and dust will go, and attach a decent vacuum cleaner, Have the vacuum cleaner on at all times.

When you done grinding, remove all the bits with the cloth still in place, lastly remove the cloth, being careful to fold all sides inwards, until it's all folded up. Take the cloth outside, and shake it clean, then hang it up on a clothesline or whatever you have, hose it down, let it dry and put it in the washing machine, full cycle, dry it and put away for next time.

Because of the long set up and take down process, you might want to have a collection of tools to grind in one set up.

If you have the need and follow good procedure you can do this quite successfully.

Back