Basic CNC

your trying it on the lathe for your cross feed mod right?
that should be a pretty good test
i'm curious how much it will take myself
steve

Yup. I want to see for sure what it will take roe a stepper motor.

"Billy G":))

Bill
Infro on this page touches base on many of the things in this thread. I thought it might be helpfull to you , and others. If it shouldnt be here, let me know, and Ill delete it.

http://www.kelinginc.net/index.html
Scroll down to fundamentals and operation
Seems like lots of good infro here.

Bill
Infro on this page touches base on many of the things in this thread. I thought it might be helpfull to you , and others. If it shouldnt be here, let me know, and Ill delete it.

http://www.kelinginc.net/index.html
Scroll down to fundamentals and operation
Seems like lots of good infro here.

I don't see why it should be a problem, Keling motors are widely used, and in fact probably the most common among hobbiests.

M

Links to info like that are apprciated here.

"Billy G"

DMS, by type, I was referring to stepper vs servo, but since we aren't to servo motors yet I'll wait and keep reading. Thanks

Patrick

Ah, gotcha.

Servo's are a bit more expensive than steppers, mostly because the controllers are more expensive, and you have the added cost of encoders, and gearing (you will usually see servomotors geared down because they tend to have lower max torque, but higher (usable) top end RPM.

The difference is not night and day though. I wen't with servo's for my machine, because I figured, if I was gonna do it, I might as well go all out. The main disadvantage with servos is that tuning them can be really tricky (we haven't talked much about servo's, so we haven't gotten into tuning them).

A myth dispelled, I think. Stepper motors are not in a continuously smooth movement, but in steps as their name says. A DC motor moves smoother but cannot stop on command in a givin position. The increment steps of a stepper motor are so fast that we cannot see the jagged movement. Also they are so fast that the cut is actually smooth. I think I finally have it. Sorry but I have to be thorough.

"Billy G" :))

Back