BB CT041 Lathe Chuck Cleaning

RetiredRich

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

While I am waiting on a mill, I have taken my lathe out of storage. The lathe was at my friend's garage for 10+ years. It was exposed to a lot of metal cutting wheel dust. It was also used a few times.
The chuck sticks and jams so I am trying to take it apart for a major cleaning. Please see the following photos as a reference.

Chuck.jpg

I'm don't know how to remove the faceplate indicated in the photo (may be not the right term). I removed the three hex bolts. I then tried to loosen the faceplate with a rubber mallet.
Before I do something stupid, does anybody have any insight on how I should proceed.

This is my first post so hopefully I'm in the right forum. There are so many.

Thank you,
Rich

Rich,
Though not familiar with your exact machine, I think you are headed in the right direction. Those three screws should be removed completely and then a rubber mallet to tap the backplate off the chuck. There is a shoulder on the backplate that registers to the chuck so it is likely just on snug. I would also, if it were me, somehow mark the backplate to the chuck so that when you reassemble you can line it up exactly as it was before. I would not be afraid to GENTLY use a screwdriver to help the two separate if a rubber mallet isnt getting it done, but that is just what I would do. If you do attempt to try and pry them apart remember that it needs to come straight off, don't try and do all the work from one side.

Soak with some penetrating oil then take a sharp blade and tap it in between the backplate and the chuck
Should pop it right off
-Mark

Take it completely apart and degrease it. Use Bison Lathe Chuck Grease on the back side where the gears are. Use light oil on the front where the jaws go.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I did not expect such a quick reply.

I was thinking this was screwed on somehow but you made me realized that it was press fit. a few taps with a screwdriver at different locations was all that was needed.

Good point for indexing the backplate with the chuck. I used a punch to mark the location.

ChuckIndexed.jpg

Next...

Thank you both again. That just made my day.

Rich

Back