Be Careful Lifting A Lathe

I do exactly the same method as Jim Dawson, also remove a lot of the heavy parts if possible or on a mill move the head to the lowest position to minimize the top heaviness. I now use an eye bolt for the lathe by Jerkins rated at a few tons with a Grade 8 bolt and two cross straps to adjust the balance, I always use additional safety straps and lock everything down. You also need to consider having the cross straps attached above the center of gravity. On a lathe you can move the carriage and the tail stock to the far right to counterbalance the head. Being too careful is never wasted, and always take your time.
Lathe Lift.jpg

You mentioned you had this lathe up in the air about two feet....
Only a couple of inches of clearance is all that is needed. Even if you pull from trailer or upper deck, let it down to near the floor before moving around.

I like mksj's method of lifting.

I avoid lifting beyond 2" off the ground, but I'm lucky in that my lathe's hefty cast-iron base is a full-length flat bottomed box that rolls beautifully on a bunch of scaffold poles! If I had to lift it I'd use at least four straps, two for the load and two for safety!
Those with leggy machines could bolt on timber skids and roll on poles, it has to be safer than having if fall, even if near you rather than on you!
When transporting it, I use an "access trailer" with a drop ramp and winch it up on scaffold poles, then wedge in place and strap down with four or five 7-ton ratchet straps - and check the straps nervously often, a 4400 pound lathe on the loose would make a bit of a dent!

If I am moving lathes & other machine tools around the workshop, I try where possible to move them on four steel plates about 6" broad x 1/4" thick I coat the plates with washing up soap and the lathe glides over them with very little effort, The plates can be positioned to make a track, If the soap gets onto the workshop floor it can be washed off with a mop and hot water, Never use oil, you cannot get rid of it & it is a safety/ slip hazard
Extreme care is required in case you or a helper glides on the soap liquid COMMON SENSE!

If I have to lift a lathe I use at least three slings one near the headstock, & one to balance near the tailstock end , Another sling I always wrap around the bottom of the quick change gear box, & back up to the crane hook, My reasoning for this is the fact that the front weight of the gearbox and apron tend to tip the lathe over towards the front, Always try a gentle trial lift just clear of the deck, Check your lift is even, And if other personnel are helping on the job, one man only in charge.

Be extremely cautious when binding your lathe up with slings to pack the slings out from the lead screw and feed shaft with a piece of timber and protect the bed ways as well.

Another danger area I came across recently was hearing of a friend I know who was moving a milling machine on which the table was traversed by a ball leads crew, He was lowering this machine and it tilted and the table shot forward like a racehorse, narrowly missing his hand against some other part of the machine When ball screws are fitted they run to a lower point , one does not have the locking characteristic's of a conventional lead screw

It's the kind of experience that makes you wish you could vomit. But, you are to busy trying to figure out what you can do to prevent catastrophe.
Copious emesis would be a lot more fun!
I'm happy to hear that no injuries were incurred.

Daryl
MN

There are a thousand stories in the Naked City and this has been on of them. Thank you for sharing it.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Back