Be Careful with Carbide Tooling

I dropped a brand new 4 flute carbide end mill 1" in diameter when I had one hand on the belt (to hold the spindle) and the other hand on the wrench. This resulted in a chipped tooth.

****** me off.......

Couldn't you make a holder for that and just use the shorter length?
The break occurred right where the shank ended and the cutting flutes begin. If I tried to use it, the collet or end mill holder would be gripping on the cutting edges. Not much to hold on to.

Recycle it into another tool . :encourage:

Recycle it into another tool . :encourage:
what would you suggest? The shank is 1.3" x .5". If you put it into a holder a half inch that leaves only about a half inch to work with.

I dropped my brand new 1/2 inch carbide end mill. It was in the tube and it fell about 14 inches. That was a very expensive lesson. Dont let it happen to you.
Anybody who hasn't been-there-done-that or something similar hasn't worked with tools very long. Not much of a comfort, but it happens to all of us.

Regards

The break occurred right where the shank ended and the cutting flutes begin. If I tried to use it, the collet or end mill holder would be gripping on the cutting edges. Not much to hold on to.
Kinda hard to reconfigure carbide unless you have diamond tooling.

OUCH!! That's worse than when I put and brand new end mill in the machine and forget to set the tool offset and CRUNCH it goes without cutting anything. I'd almost want to contact Garr, they might have you send it in and replace it if something was wrong with it.

Nobody fees sorry for someone suffering from self inflicted wounds.

Back