Beall collet chuck

David,

I have had two of the Beall collet chucks for different lathes.
I have recommended them a couple times: here and here.

Remember to install the collet into the nut _before_ putting the collet into the chuck body.
The nut has an internal eccentric collar that pulls the collet from the chuck to loosen it.
At first glance many people think that collar is a manufacturing defect.

-brino

The vast majority of your lathe work can be done with jawed chucks. Keep the following in mind, Dave:

A first operation is when you take some stock and turn it for the first time. For this kind of work, which is how most of our work starts off, any scrolled chuck (3, 4 or 6 jaws) will turn the work dead on the centerline and will be accurate as long as you do not remove it from the chuck. This is true for cheap chucks or expensive one. The difference between a good one and a junk one is the quality with which the scroll and jaws are made and fitted. The better chucks have more precise machining and will grab the work better. Given that the vast majority of your work will be done with a 3 jaw, it pays to have a good one.

A second operation is where you are turning a piece that has either already been turned or is precision-ground. Here, you need a 4 jaw chuck if accuracy is important. An independent 4 jaw chuck is potentially the most accurate of all lathe chucks because you can dial the work in for zero run out. It is also the most versatile because you can adjust it to turn off-center work or work that has an odd shape.

Collet chucks come in last for lathe work holding. 5C is good for production work where you have to run a lot of nominal sized stock. ER chucks are good for holding threaded or already turned parts with fairly good accuracy and they are faster to use than a 4 jaw; they are accurate but not as accurate as a 4 jaw.

6 jaw chucks are another variation you'll see. These are scroll chucks like your 3 jaw but they obviously have 6 jaws. They tend to distort thin walled work less than other chucks and will hold any work more solidly because there are no large gaps between the jaws like a 3 jaw has. They are especially good if you work with a lot of plastics because that material tends to be slippery and can cam out of a 3 jaw when taking big cuts; a 6 jaw holds this material more securely and therefore more accurately. Most good 6 jaw chucks tend to be the adjust-tru type so they can also be dialed in to be very accurate. While more expensive, these chucks are typically made to a higher quality standard by companies like Pratt-Burnerd, Bison and others.

Another variant is the adjust-tru 3 jaw chuck. These are just standard 3 jaw chucks but have 3 or 4 screws that allow you to shift the chuck around on its backplate to dial out run out. It is sort of like having the adjustability of a 4 jaw chuck with the speed and ease of use of a 3 jaw chuck. Good ones can be dialed in to be very accurate. You will find these all over ebay but be warned that many of these old chucks are beat up. The jaws and scrolls are worn and no longer accurate but because it is an adjust-tru, the seller thinks its made of gold. If a chuck looks old and well used, it probably is and you should keep looking.

I try to steer the new guys towards buying good chucks to begin with. A good one will last you a lifetime and will perform well every single time you use it. A cheap chuck will not hold up nearly as well or as long. Bison makes good ones that are a bit expensive but will hold up to heavy use. Rohm is my preference but make sure you're sitting down when you look at prices. Pratt Burnerd is probably one of the best out there. Yuasa is also very good. Kitagawa and Samchully are high end and out of reach for most of us. There are many others. If you find one you want to buy, ask the guys and they will give you an opinion.

The spindle bore on my 10K is 27/32' so I wonder if ER40 isn't the best size for me.

If you do decide to get an ER chuck, ER32 is a very good choice.
ER32 technically goes to 3/4" but if you are worried about getting that very last 3/32"out of your spindle there are some offering oversize 7/8" ER32 collets. ER32 is by far the most popular size, so you have a larger selection of collets to choose from, and they tend to be cheaper. It is the only ER size I've seen that have square and hex stock collets available, although they are not easy to find. You usually have to look at 5C to get collets to hold anything but but round stock.
It is now easy to find hex and square collet blocks for ER32. You can find them for some other ER sizes, but they are not common. You can get ER32 adapters for indexers (normally just 5C), I've never seen that for other ER sizes.

If you want the collets to run true then buy a collet chuck that mounts on a backplate. The chuck can then be trued to your spindle. The issue/risk with the Beall chucks is that they are not matched to your spindle, manufacturing tolerances will impact final runout.
I love my ER32 set on my 10x22. Accurate and allows me to remove parts, turn end to end and do more operations while maintaining concentricity. I use a lot of drill rod so already a great match to the collets, no need to touch the outside diameter.

The issue/risk with the Beall chucks is that they are not matched to your spindle, manufacturing tolerances will impact final runout.

Not so sure about this. The accuracy of the Beall chuck, or any chuck, depends on how it interfaces with the spindle register. My experience with Beall is that their tools are carefully machined in this area. I use one on my Sherline mill and lathe. Both spindles have ABEC 3 bearings with carefully adjusted spindle preload and have around 0.0001" TIR. The Beall chuck's taper holds the same run out when mounted so its not too bad, I figure.

I won't argue that a back plate mounted ER chuck can't be accurized; it can. However, it can also go out of calibration, too. There are pros and cons to both.

I agree with Mike. I bought an ER-40 plate, well cause everyone was doing it. :D Made a backplate to adapt it to my lathe. For me it was a waste of time & money. I've had it for a number of yrs now & I've only used it like twice. For the stuff I do I just don't need one, my chucks cover mostly everything.

Back