[4]

Beall ER32 collet chuck and Sherline lathe question (mostly for Mikey but others welcome)

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I bought a Beall ER32 collet chuck to use with the Sherline mill, but it was mentioned it also works on the lathe.

So on Sherline's facebook page someone is mentioning using the steady rest to support the chuck out of concern for the length of the chuck.

Just wondering how those using the Beall chuck with the lathe feel about this, good idea, unnecessary but can't hurt, bad idea?

I would have thought being a pretty solid piece of steel designed to spin at high speeds it wouldn't be necessary but I have little experience to make an informed decision.

mikey

Active User
Hmm, haven't heard that one before. The Beall chuck registers pretty solidly on the Sherline spindle and the chuck itself has a lot of mass for what it is. Once locked in place, I doubt you could exert enough force to bend the chuck or the spindle mount enough to matter. For what its worth, I have had no issues with this chuck on either the lathe or the mill for well over a decade.

My advice: don't worry about it.

Aaron_W

When you suggested the ER32 it sounded like you had a lot of experience using it with Sherline products. I figured you would have mentioned it needed support if an issue. It just made me wonder though when I saw that brought up.

Based on the comments there it reads more like the person suggesting it just got the chuck and is looking for a solution to a problem that could exist, not fixing an issue they have actually encountered.

Thanks for confirming that it hasn't been an issue for you.

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Hi Aaron,

I've been using two different sizes of the Beall ER-32 collet chuck on two different lathes for years.
I don't have a steady rest for either lathe.
Never had a problem. Great tool.

-brino

Aaron_W

Thanks, looking forward to getting to play with it. Just waiting for work to slow down so I can set up the shop.

j ferguson

Active User
Registered
I bought one of these and am very impressed with its quality. I am assuming that with some care i can use it in my 2000 mill to hold cutters which have shanks too big for the Sherline tool holder ( I have the 3/8 and didn;t realize that they also make a 1/2 inch).

Is this reasonable?

If you see this Mikey, what are using for wax for your belt grinder?

mikey

Active User
[6]
[5] [7]