Beam mining locomotive

wframe13

Registered
Registered
  • During my recent visit to Disneyland I saw this interesting "locomotive". I was assured by cast member that all "decorations" are authentic mining relics. I have done numerous Google searches trying to find additional information about a steam engine like this but have not found anything. Any one have any ideas about this kind of locomotive? It looks like something that might make an interesting model. Thanks!
  • 20180521_102302-747x1328.jpg20180521_102155-747x1328.jpg

20180521_102302-747x1328.jpg

Kinda looks like a Frankenstein cobble up from the appropriate era. Pretty cool piece. Mike

I'd hate to be riding on it with that piston/cylinder flopping back and forth. Who knows when it would jam and blow up! And "steam?" you need a boiler for that. I don't even see a tank for compressed air.

try searching for "walking beam engine".
-brino

I don't know squat but to me it looks like a piston pump converted to a locomotive, lots of examples of walking beam pumps but locomotives not so much

Beam engines were not very successfully used as railway locomotive engines as they were generally much too large and also way too heavy for the power output. They were mostly used in the mining industry as pumping engines to pump the water out of mines.

Back