Bearing oil for Enco 110-2031?

grhm

Registered
Registered
I do not have a manual for this lathe, and I cannot find one that matches it any closer than the Grizzly G9249. The G9249 manual specifies "ISO 68 SAE 20W Bearing and Gear Lubricant" for everything except grease fittings, for which it specifies "Multi-Purpose Gear Grease". My questions, then, are:
  1. Should I use way oil on the spindle bearings, or should I buy some other ISO 68 (hydraulic?) oil for them? Is the only reason to not use way oil simply the added cost?
  2. Ball oilers should all be "way oil" (Vactra #2), I assume?
  3. For the grease, is there anything special I'm looking for? Just whatever is closest to the check-out at the auto parts store?
  4. The G9249 manual shows a grease fitting on the backgear shaft and change gears, but mine does not have them. On the backgear shaft, there's just a hex set screw, and on the change gears, looks like just a hole in the lowest one (similar to the holes for the spindle bearings). What should I do with those?

way oil is thicker and tackier than spindle oil. the increased viscosity of way oil is unfavorable for spindle service, but some oil is better than no oil.
a lithium complex grease is sufficient for grease requirements , stay away from synthetic greases unless you know for certain what brand and type is already being used. otherwise the mixing of some synthetic greases may cause early failures due to incompatibility
the small holes described are weep holes. they get oil dripped directly into the small hole. the set screw is removed and a few drops of oil are dripped into the hole, the set screw is then replaced (but don't overtighten as spindle damage could occur if the set screw comes into contact with the spindle

Back