Bearing recommendations for light drill press spindle?

PaulH

Registered
Registered
You would think a guy my age would know something about bearings. Apparently not. I decided to change spindle brgs. on a light Craftsman (Atlas?) drill press, with the intent to cut down on radial play. Easy right? USA made Federal numbers don't interchange on any of the usual bearing sales websites. OK, just type in dimensions, right? Well that's wherein comes the rub. Manufacturing tolerance specs are frequently not quoted, sometimes the term "standard" is used, occasionally ABEC 1, which looking at the charts, should be fine. But I don't know what is ideal. Common logic would suggest that a ball bearing is designed for radial forces and thrust is secondary, hence, would a fellow need to spec a "deep groove" which may be more amenable to thrust forces? Then, new to me, ceramic bearings? Really?
So anyone with an opinion, shout out. I'm used to ordering by part number and spec' ing bearings from scratch is not for the ignorant. Thanks, Paul

So your saying the numbers on the bearings don’t bring up any info? Pictures would be good. I would measure the OD of the part and the ID of the other so at least you have them numbers to go of. If I were to do my drill press bearings I’d at least go with a class3 not 1 price difference will be minor. No need for ceramics not the area they would shine in.
What style bearings are they? Cup and cone taper bearing, Or sealed type ball and cage?

There should be a thrust bearing in there somewhere, ball bearings by themselves unless angular contact won't handle drill press thrust I believe.
ABEC 1 bearing tolerance show radial run out at about 2 ten thousands of an inch. I think that is OK for a Craftsman drill press

The bearings are Federal FS 1181, ball and cage, metal double shielded. I.D. bore of .625---O.D. 1.375. I can't find anything using that number, I tried Grainger, Motion Ind., Applied, VSK. Thanks for the tip on class 3 upgrade. Lots of brands come up by size, lots of manufacturers I've never heard of, but not much technical info and only a few suppliers give a class number. Maybe I'm overthinking it but I was hoping to find bearings with something less than the .008" radial slop I have now, in a name I have at least heard of.

Bto, I agree with you, using radial ball bearings for a thrust application must accelerate wear, but, it is a Craftsman after all, and I use it a little harder than intended. Sears was pretty proud of it back in the day, and it has an original sticker touting that it came with SKF bearings. I can't help but wonder if oem bearings were ball THRUST bearings, at least on the chuck end.

1181 is a standard ball bearing number, All Balls sells them for wheel bearings for motorcycles.
1546650184854.png

I would be really surprised if it didn't have a thrust bearing in it.

Check McMaster-Carr they have them from Ive seen of your measurements. 17 bucks a pc.

Thanks for the tips guys. Motorcycle wheel bearings as you suggested, are a good ABEC 3 bearing, but are standard groove so I went with an EMQ, electric motor quality, class in deep groove. Intuitively, deep groove would suggest a bearing capable of at least some thrust load. If I wasn't in a hurry, I think the quill should be modified to accept a thrust bearing, although Atlas never really needed my help when they designed these back in the 30's. Chuckle.

To wrap this up, I ended up ordering a different but compatible bearing number. The new bearings are 'deep groove' which should take a little more thrust load, and they are graded as EMQ, electric motor quality. Not a lot of specs on these bearings , but the finished job reduced my spindle radial play from .008" to .002". Thanks all, for your help. Paul

Back