Bearing replacement on steering gear shaft.....

A few years ago I helped a friend that was converting a Toyota Echo from gas to electric. I made a steel plate for the transmission housing that mounted the big electric motor, and a coupler to connect the two shafts. During the conversion he changed from a hydraulic power steering to an electric unit, which was hard to find.

Recently, he discovered that the seals on the electric power steering unit had leaked, water got in and the integral bearing on the shaft was pretty rough:
before.jpg before.jpg

before2.jpg before2.jpg

Since the electric steering gear was even harder to find now, he asked if I would attempt a repair.
He bought a new standard bearing with internal and external races, the new OD matched the old.
The plain round part of the shaft was 17.5mm and he found a new bearing with a 17mm ID.

I turned down that part of the shaft and shoulder where the old bearing ran.
I was concerned about how hard the shaft might be since it was the original inner race, but a carbide lathe tool cut it well.
cutting.jpg cutting.jpg

Here it is turned down and with the shoulder removed
shoulder_removed.jpg shoulder_removed.jpg

Then I needed to fill the badly pitted groove where the old bearing ran. I wanted to braze it up and thought I'd try using carbon from the acetylene torch to mask the helical gear on the shaft from the braze material. First I cleaned the shaft with a wire brush and alcohol, then covered the area I wanted to braze with masking tape.
masked_for_carbon_masking.jpg masked_for_carbon_masking.jpg

...and use the acetylene torch to carbon up the area I did NOT want brazed
carbon_mask1.jpg carbon_mask1.jpg

carbon_mask2.jpg carbon_mask2.jpg

I threw together a quick wooden jig to allow me to braze it and rotate as required
ready_to_braze.jpg ready_to_braze.jpg

and brazed it with the oxy-acetylene torch
brazed.jpg brazed.jpg

and then back to the lathe to clean up the brazing
cleaned-up_after_braze.jpg cleaned-up_after_braze.jpg

with_new_bearing.jpg with_new_bearing.jpg

and finally here it is with the new bearing installed
bearing_installed.jpg bearing_installed.jpg

bearing_installed2.jpg bearing_installed2.jpg

bearing_installed3.jpg bearing_installed3.jpg

The new bearing was about 1mm thinner than the original outer race so I left a little room to position the new bearing to match up with the original housing.

An interesting project where I got to use a few different tools.

-brino

Last edited:
Were you not concerned with negating the heat treatment that such a part would have obviously had? Failure of such a part would have large consequences both for the people involved in an accident, and for you as a matter of liability. If someone ever came into my shop with any parts related to steering, I would not have taken on such work, other than possibly reaming kingpin bushings. I did not have "products" insurance and never had any claims for damages, the result of being very careful of what I worked on.

Back