Bearing Vendors - How do you rank them?

In November I purchased bearings from Locate Bearings for the Worthington Drive on my Sheldon lathe. The transaction couldn't have been smoother, and the price was far better than any of the other vendors mentioned. I had to call them to be sure the ones I was considering would be a direct fit. The originals were from Norma Bearing Company which is long out of business. They confirmed the SKF ones I was considering were a direct fit, with even better shielding than the originals. When they found out I needed 10 they lowered the price 20% as a courtesy. I ordered them on November 20th and received them the 23rd. In the future they will be high on my list for return business

I imagine most of their sales people are decent to most of their customers or they wouldn't be in business anymore. I'm not fond of being lied to. I "might" call them again, but I'll sure spend a little more time calling around elsewhere first.

In the past I've done business with Motion Industries and BOCA. Both had higher prices and longer delivery times for the items I wanted. I agree With Bob about availability from Motion Industries. I worked for a large manufacturing company in our area for over 20 years. At that time Motion Industries was buying up all the local vendors. We regularly did business with an outfit called Wisconsin Bearing. They had everything we ever needed in stock and would have it available for pickup or delivery the same day. When Motion Industries bought them out the prices went up by 50%, the inventory shrank to nearly nothing, and delivery times were usually in the 2-3 day time frame.

On occasion I've stopped by the local Motion Industries store. To this day I still do not know what they DO stock locally. They tried to get me some Carr-Lane lock down clamps once, but told me they had to pay the same price I did for them so I'd be better off to buy them elsewhere. They are listed as a Carr-Lane distributor, but I guess only one store in the country can actually order as a distributor. I came in and gave them a couple 12packs of soda to say thanks for the effort a few days later. Another time they got me an old ball tab locking washer for a milling machine. Had it in a few days. They did struggle to order it at first even though I came in armed with the stock number and the part number. They were the only place I could find it. 50:50 I guess. A week or so ago I called them and asked what end mills they stock. The person who answered obvious didn't know what an end mill was. I asked if they stocked any end mills, and was told no. Well Motion does show them on their website, but they don't want to sell any in Yuma. I've called a couple other times about things they list on their website and they didn't stock those either. Like I said. To this day I still do not know what the do stock locally.

My experience with Motion Industries was decades ago, but in those days I bought mostly lots of hydraulic supplies and components from them. They had lots of stuff in stock, and nothing else was more than a day away, no freight charges. Of course, this is in a bigger city where there are also a lot of other hydraulic vendors and rebuilders. I was ordering things by industry part numbers, and buying hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of parts every week. They were way above most of their competition, who could not hit their butts with both hands tied behind their backs. I also bought bearings from them.

I can just stop by VBX, Kaman or Mc Master and they generally have what I need on the shelf. Seams like it takes me a half hour to get out of VXB though, pretty slow for direct purchases. McMaster, I choose and place an order and they ALWAYS have what I need ready in Will Call by the time I get there.

I have no real issue with McMaster-Carr. They tend to by higher than the median price on a lot of things, but not always. I buy phenolic handles from them by the hundred count. I get a fair amount of teflon rod stock from them too. The recycled teflon rod makes excellent core pins for lead casting molds. They didn't have a bearing that met my spec this time or I probably would have ordered from them just because they are fast. I've had my big milling machine (big for me) down all week.

Back