Beautiful rebuilds

A rebuild is as much fun as using it. The hobby is just a blurr. Another up-side is you really get to learn the machine inside and out. A rebuild is highly recommended. Here is my rebuild. I posted them here as my rebuild thread pix do not work any more.

Hi Randy I can see you really enjoyed this restoration, how long did it take, sure must have kept you out of mischief for a while. I am restoring a 10 inch Shaper, covered in old caked grease, paint chips and rust so when I turn in, I look like a miner. I do find it very rewarding, every time I come home I have to pop into the workshop to have a peek before I go indoors.
Well Done a Great Job Cheers David

Hi Randy I can see you really enjoyed this restoration, how long did it take, sure must have kept you out of mischief for a while. I am restoring a 10 inch Shaper, covered in old caked grease, paint chips and rust so when I turn in, I look like a miner. I do find it very rewarding, every time I come home I have to pop into the workshop to have a peek before I go indoors.
Well Done a Great Job Cheers David

Well David, I brought it home in April and started making chips in October. This was a weekend only endeavour. And I must confess, I did have some help with the cleaning process. My 75 year old mother likes playing in the shop right along with me. I also know what you mean, I enjoy getting dirty as well, and sneeking peeks of my handy work just before the lights go out. :thumbsup:

David, make sure you share your work with us. That will be a very nice machine when you finish.

Hi RandyM

I'm still mesmerized by the quality of your restoration, and finding myself thinking about doing the same on my new-to-me 1967 Series 1.

Can you comment on a few things?

1. What solvent did you do use to clean it up initially? My Brifdgeport has a lot of quite congealed muck, particularly below the knee, propbably due to liberal use of the 1-shot oiler. I'm trying to find an effective non-combustive cleaner as my garage has a open-flame heater.

2. Did you blast off the old original paint, or is that the result of good old fashioned elbow grease?

3. What brand paint did you use?

Any details gratefully received.

Last edited:
Hi RandyM

I'm still mesmerized by the quality of your restoration, and finding myself thinking about doing the same on my new-to-me 1967 Series 1.

Can you comment on a few things?

Yes, I will help you the best I can.

1. What solvent did you do use to clean it up initially? My Brifdgeport has a lot of quite congealed muck, particularly below the knee, propbably due to liberal use of the 1-shot oiler. I'm trying to find an effective non-combustive cleaner as my garage has a open-flame heater.

I started with the same muck all over my machine. I used an industrial parts cleaning solvent known as "Blaster".
Here is the Stuff

2. Did you blast off the old original paint, or is that the result of good old fashioned elbow grease?

No sandblasting. Along with the parts cleaner I used lots of ScotchBrite pads. Once the scum was removed I just did more sanding to smooth out everything as there is a very thick layer of primer/filler to work with. So yes, a lot of scrubbing. I did however, remove all of the paint on the ram. But that was the only piece I did that on. I used a DA sander to do it.

3. What brand paint did you use?

I used Valspar Gray (rolled on). The blue is powder coat. Here is the color

Hope this helps Joe.

Randy,

Like the others, I'm in awe of your restoration! While my BP won't end up as nice as yours, I would like to clean it up a bit.

I couldn't help but notice that the shiny parts on your mill seem to be uncoated. How do you keep them from rusting up? Here in SE Texas, EVERYTHING starts to rust within milliseconds of being stripped!!!

Harvey

Randy,
I couldn't help but notice that the shiny parts on your mill seem to be uncoated. How do you keep them from rusting up? Here in SE Texas, EVERYTHING starts to rust within milliseconds of being stripped!!!

Harvey

Hi Harvey, No special magic. Just oil on the unpainted surfaces seems to work just fine for me. This usually happens with use, cutting oils get everywhere. That and an occasional lube of the ways and spindle.

A credit to you! A Bridgeport is my ultimate milling machine goal, just purchased a Series 1 parts manual so it's a start.
cheers
Bill.

Back