Beauty in The Beast: Webb 5BVK Barn Find/Conversion

OK, cool.. Now we know what the transformer output voltage is.... 165VAC, which equates to 233VDC out of the power supply. Now we just need to confirm what the voltage rating on the filter caps in the power supply. I would expect at least 250 or maybe 300VDC. If they are rated at 200VDC or less, then that would mean that the rectifier in the power supply is a half wave bridge rather than a full wave bridge.

well - success - you managed to baffle me with "filter caps" - but I love to learn new things.
How might I find these mysterious caps?
Do they look like coke caps?
Twist or screw?
& if you can help me identify them - how might I test for us or discover their voltage rating?3-077.jpg

Filter capacitors, the round thing to the right of the power supply rectifier.

EDIT: The voltage should be printed on the side.

Last edited:
I really enjoy watching Jim peal the issues and describe the next step/resolution.
It's a pleasure watching a pro work. :clapping:

More comments regarding the the spindle TIR survey:
I want to have as much info as possible to inform WHY the taper runs out.
I assume it didn't ship from the factory with a bunch of runout.
So, what happened to it and what else (besides taper runout) is damaged?
Is the spindle bent?
Are the bearings damaged?

Regrinding the taper in situ can fix the runout in the near term but it may not fix the fundamental issue
(why does the taper runout?).

TIR survey - interested to see myself.
Have a rotary table and engine case on table and set in the DRO - don't want to take them out yet - so am holding on that one another day.
Did a little research on bearings as well - spindle guy gave me a trick to test them.
I will include that with my posting - and we can see. where we are.

Jim - now you are seeking my language.
"The round thing to the right"
Why didn't you just say so?

Took a look with camera and flashlight but couldn't find any markings.
It's going to have to come out.
Now I just need to figure out exactly how you remove it!
Seems it would have a lock - and slip out the front.
Have not managed to spot said lock yet - if that's how it is held in.

At the very bottom I would expect to find a band, like a hose clamp, with a couple of tabs on it. The tabs should be screwed to the case.

Ok - there was a hidden zip type pulled tight by King Kong at the front - I had clipped the one at the back.
Picture below.

Ext - ran through the process.
Marked where the front dog was as A - rear dog as B - and there were three increments between B,C,D and F,G,H
This represented a mark every 45 degrees around the spindle.
I watched for lumps. There are not giant ones - but perhaps a few areas where there was a small tic.
I went ahead and zeroed out putting A at 1.5 and then taking relative measures from that point
However - you can see a pretty consistent read from top to bottom.
All measures are in ten thousandths ("tenths").
Interesting process.

One thing that the old German spindle grinder told me was - you can tell when the bearings are bad because the readings wont be consistent - keeps moving around. I am not seeing that either in slow or quicker motion. Thoughts on that and chart?
IMG_4582.jpgScreen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.07.23 PM.png

OK, that tells me pretty much what the voltage to the drives is supposed to be. 350VDC working voltage equates to around 200 output. Close enough to make things run. We can't use the original transformer so an isolation transformer will need to be purchased, 1.5 KVA capacity. This can be powered up with 240 VAC which when rectified will output 169 VDC. And the motors are rated at 167 VDC, so perfect. https://www.ebay.com/itm/303644573524?hash=item46b2a07f54:g:eCUAAOSwSGxhKxzv

Now I need the information off of the data tag on the drive unit, it's the paper sticker at the top of the unit. Need to try to find the documentation.

Back