Beauty in The Beast: Webb 5BVK Barn Find/Conversion

When considering an enclosure for a compressor keep in mind that it is air-cooled so needs constant air exchange. I suggest a fan to pump air in and adequate exhaust venting area.

You should consider starting a new thread (maybe "My New Shop Space") in the specific forum to get best visibility (help) for that task.

or

If you start a new thread, post a link to it in this thread so nobody gets lost.

Which brings this long winded post to the question at hand.
New space has "208 three phase".
I am currently running my mill on a VFD off 220 single phase.
Naive about how to best approach (suspect I am going to need a new VFD).
Reaching out to the crowd for some advice on how I might approach most efficiently.
The VFD should be fine with 208, read the instructions!

Check the nameplate voltage on all of your 220 equipment, if it says 230 volt you are good to go. A 230 v motor is designed to operate on 208 or 240, just make sure theres no voltage drop. If you are actually getting much less than 208 the motors won't live very long.
If you have 240v motors look into buck/boost transformers to bump the voltage up. 115-120 will still be the same on a 3 phase system.

Enjoy the new shop!!!

Considering a rolling gantry crane - to allow bigger projects.
Forklift! First new tool I bought when I moved into my shop.

As far as power, it doesn't look like there has ever been 3 phase used in that shop. No big deal, you just need to add the breaker and a drop where you want the power. Due to the nature of the 120/208 system, you can pull both single phase and 3 phase from the panel very easy. When I was thinking about repowering my shop with 3 phase, I took an inventory and realized that everything in there would be happy running on 208V.

Had a small chuckle - you guys are as good at spending my money as I am!
Much appreciate the good words/encouragement.
Am excited about the space.

Kidding aside - a pallet jack or fork lift would be phenomenal tools.
I've eyed up a few close by shops that look like they have 'em...
May have to befriend.
Would be gold standard to have my own.

Extropic - will read through those threads for more good ideas. Thank you.
Perhaps if I go whole hog on shop - will create my own shop thread.
Since current focus remains on power supply - will continue with specifics here.

The VFD should be fine with 208, read the instructions!
Busted - though in my defense - the instructions are written by non-English writers... Jim had experience with the brand - and helped direct prior set up for current 220 single phase conversion. Are you thinking it might make mention of 208 input?

Check the nameplate voltage on all of your 220 equipment, if it says 230 volt you are good to go. A 230 v motor is designed to operate on 208 or 240,
Nameplate (not in good shape) says 220. Images below from different angles to help make more legible.
just make sure theres no voltage drop.
Noted. Tks
If you have 240v motors look into buck/boost transformers to bump the voltage up. 115-120 will still be the same on a 3 phase system.
Mine say 220 rather than 230 or 240.
Not sure how that effects your thoughts on setup?

it doesn't look like there has ever been 3 phase used in that shop.
Due to the nature of the 120/208 system, you can pull both single phase and 3 phase from the panel very easy.
Ok - fact I was not aware of.
Made me go back and look for better pics.
Closer look. I think they had 220 breakers in here at some point. Marked "Bench" in image below.
Would that have been single or three phase just depending on how the breaker was wired?
May change my thinking on solutions.
Does this mean I could possibly run single phase 208 outlets off this box just by how I wire?
Would that operate my mill properly

One other factor in my thinking:
When I was thinking about repowering my shop with 3 phase, I took an inventory and realized that everything in there would be happy running on 208V.
I actually have a second machine. It's a Monarch 10EE lathe with a Sabina solid state drive replacing its original tubes. 460V! DC Motor is wound for 460 as well.
Currently have it operational on an RPC and a step down converter running in reverse taking my 220 single phase to 460 3 phase.
Doing some research on how best to deal with that as well.
My current power supply conversion is for 220 single phase. Garage set up has me unplugging and plugging the two machines into the single outlet I have.

IMG_0026 2.JPG

Motor tag. The line under Amp (which is stamped 14.7) reads 'Bearing" The line under that reads "Design" - I think.

IMG_2414 2-2.JPG

@Charlieman22

Please show a picture of the main breaker so we can be sure that you have a three phase service.
The picture you provided of the load center looks like a single phase box to me (not an expert).

Back