Beauty in The Beast: Webb 5BVK Barn Find/Conversion

Thanks Rabler.
Your shop build out and VMC find were epic.
The unload is always the challenging part...

I have a steep learning curve in front of me - but I'm glad toI have used the machine in manual mode leading up to this.
Will be upgrading the manual ability in parallel with the CNC.

Bumping this one in hopes that Jim sees.
Tks!
-CM

Ok - looks like what I have are considered 4mm lines.
I will have to pull one of the metering units out again to determine if they are metric or SAE.
Thanks to Ext for the tip.

Jim:
I've gone through my boxes to see what I have from our initial list.
- Gallil controller
- Cables (see pic below)
- Break out boards (showing only 3 of them, but I have 8 - see pic below.)
View attachment 441176
View attachment 441175
Perhaps we don't need the break out boards listed below?
Let me know - I will finally get the other stuff in.

QTY 1 Power cable for above
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/molex/2451350220/6564767
2 Position Cable Assembly Rectangular Socket to Socket 6.56' (2.00m)
Mini-Fit Jr 245135

QTY 4 Encoder connectors
DB15HD Slim Breakout Board with Screw Terminals - Winford Engineering
DB15HD Male Connector:
BRKSD15HDM-C. Needed still?

QTY 1 I/O connector
DB44HD Breakout Board with Screw Terminals - Winford Engineering
DB44HD Female Right Angle Connector:
BRKDD44HDFV2-R-DIN Needed still?

QTY 1 I/O connector
DB44HD Male Right Angle Connector:
BRKDD44HDMV2-R-DIN

QTY 2 Cables for I/O connectors Needed still? (think I got with the unit - see pic above).

Amphenol CS-DSDHD44MF0-002.5 44-Pin (HD44) Deluxe HD D-Sub Cable - Copper Shielded - Male / Female 2.5ft

Buy 2.5ft Amphenol CS-DSDHD44MF0-002.5 Cables Direct from the Factory at Cables on Demand. 44-pin (HD44) Copper Shielded High Density Male/Female D-Sub Cables by Amphenol provide exceptional performance in commercial, industrial or enterprise applications where longevity and repeated disconnects...
cablesondemand.com
cablesondemand.com
44-PIN (HD44) DELUXE HD D-SUB CABLE - COPPER SHIELDED - MALE / FEMALE
CS-DSDHD44MF0-002.5

QTY 1 Not required but nice to have. I have this same one on my lathe and have beat the hell out of it, it is still alive after two years of abuse.
www.ebay.com

Universal CNC 4 Axis MPG Pendant Handwheel & Emergency Stop for Siemens US xs90* | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Universal CNC 4 Axis MPG Pendant Handwheel & Emergency Stop for Siemens US xs90* at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
www.ebay.com
Universal CNC 4 Axis MPG Pendant Handwheel This particular link is dead. I found others - here is another link. is this for the right system though? Did not find Siemens xs90, only "FAGOR" or "GSK"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163317769347?hash=item26067f6483:g:tJ4AAOSwF35guEHF&amdata=enc:AQAHAAABIMGI9G3aIGOHGxOgcu95UhiBRyGgDXvSz3n/w4kQYu/xPbpvMe9LfTOqSkFDsh42RZbHa/KflqVpAAstQkF0yef+Rlkbn3OwqOWTTYKUzYSh7Y7IgxWI4z/ihaObKpPdi86rE/YG79n/PkaFe4Kd746l/3QjAEzUCtPKZsvhze4XSC1DrPtRrqqFBP5Ijh+ViFRQIQMpqakxqoCQ2FcLH4hC+/GkemHuhy8Mst4PIAW07F0vXg8ZQgF5qkLBdgm8qawG4UndtehioArRr3DCy+AXYRg6+sP9O9KSHOghQGsJM3hjBTvszkjmJtyYRECQ/HQ4ZUtlD75vDI7WSCAnpHKOlobIjG05IDOezmUXHhOO3zQFU3SgmLPkUhPKpz6zmA==|tkp:BFBMqpuFo9xh

QTY 1 Relay interface for digital outputs
Amazon.com
5V Relay Module with Optocoupler Isolation

Found this: https://www.amazon.com/AEDIKO-Channel-Optocoupler-Isolation-Support/dp/B095YD3732/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1M0LAB8LSBQIY&keywords=5V+Relay+Module+with+Optocoupler+Isolation&qid=1678832257&sprefix=5v+relay+module+with+optocoupler+isolation,aps,196&sr=8-6

QTY 1
Any Win7 or Win10 computer or laptop, I prefer a Mini PC. keyboard, mouse, monitor, and ethernet cable
Amazon.com : mini computer

is win 10 pro good or should I stick with just win 10.
Here is a nice looking one...
I'm sure I can find others.

Thanks!
-CM

5/32=.1562
4 mm=.1574
Most of the time I specify 4 mm BUT I have purchased a top name brand that was marked both.
Look in your documentation for a parts list/ Bill of Materials and a hydraulic schematic of the lube system. Remove A meter from the machine or in some cases the manifold to identify the now number and type. your original stuff is Bijur and is expensive but the best, there are other brands.
Fluid systems website has the entire Bijur Damon catalog to explain the difference between the systems.
10 mm and 5/16 wrenches work best for me but my Lube Box has multiple 8 mm 10 mm 5/16 and 3/8 wrenches.
Hydraulic shops sometimes have the plastic tube but know your wall thickness and fittings first there are differences.

Ok - looks like what I have are considered 4mm lines.
I will have to pull one of the metering units out again to determine if they are metric or SAE.
Thanks to Ext for the tip.

Jim:
I've gone through my boxes to see what I have from our initial list.
- Gallil controller
- Cables (see pic below)
- Break out boards (showing only 3 of them, but I have 8 - see pic below.)
View attachment 441176
View attachment 441175
Perhaps we don't need the break out boards listed below?
Let me know - I will finally get the other stuff in.

QTY 1 Power cable for above
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/molex/2451350220/6564767
2 Position Cable Assembly Rectangular Socket to Socket 6.56' (2.00m)
Mini-Fit Jr 245135

QTY 4 Encoder connectors
DB15HD Slim Breakout Board with Screw Terminals - Winford Engineering
DB15HD Male Connector:
BRKSD15HDM-C. Needed still?

QTY 1 I/O connector
DB44HD Breakout Board with Screw Terminals - Winford Engineering
DB44HD Female Right Angle Connector:
BRKDD44HDFV2-R-DIN Needed still?

QTY 1 I/O connector
DB44HD Male Right Angle Connector:
BRKDD44HDMV2-R-DIN

QTY 2 Cables for I/O connectors Needed still? (think I got with the unit - see pic above).

Amphenol CS-DSDHD44MF0-002.5 44-Pin (HD44) Deluxe HD D-Sub Cable - Copper Shielded - Male / Female 2.5ft

Buy 2.5ft Amphenol CS-DSDHD44MF0-002.5 Cables Direct from the Factory at Cables on Demand. 44-pin (HD44) Copper Shielded High Density Male/Female D-Sub Cables by Amphenol provide exceptional performance in commercial, industrial or enterprise applications where longevity and repeated disconnects...
cablesondemand.com
cablesondemand.com
44-PIN (HD44) DELUXE HD D-SUB CABLE - COPPER SHIELDED - MALE / FEMALE
CS-DSDHD44MF0-002.5

QTY 1 Not required but nice to have. I have this same one on my lathe and have beat the hell out of it, it is still alive after two years of abuse.
www.ebay.com

Universal CNC 4 Axis MPG Pendant Handwheel & Emergency Stop for Siemens US xs90* | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Universal CNC 4 Axis MPG Pendant Handwheel & Emergency Stop for Siemens US xs90* at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
www.ebay.com
Universal CNC 4 Axis MPG Pendant Handwheel This particular link is dead. I found others - here is another link. is this for the right system though? Did not find Siemens xs90, only "FAGOR" or "GSK"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163317769347?hash=item26067f6483:g:tJ4AAOSwF35guEHF&amdata=enc:AQAHAAABIMGI9G3aIGOHGxOgcu95UhiBRyGgDXvSz3n/w4kQYu/xPbpvMe9LfTOqSkFDsh42RZbHa/KflqVpAAstQkF0yef+Rlkbn3OwqOWTTYKUzYSh7Y7IgxWI4z/ihaObKpPdi86rE/YG79n/PkaFe4Kd746l/3QjAEzUCtPKZsvhze4XSC1DrPtRrqqFBP5Ijh+ViFRQIQMpqakxqoCQ2FcLH4hC+/GkemHuhy8Mst4PIAW07F0vXg8ZQgF5qkLBdgm8qawG4UndtehioArRr3DCy+AXYRg6+sP9O9KSHOghQGsJM3hjBTvszkjmJtyYRECQ/HQ4ZUtlD75vDI7WSCAnpHKOlobIjG05IDOezmUXHhOO3zQFU3SgmLPkUhPKpz6zmA==|tkp:BFBMqpuFo9xh

QTY 1 Relay interface for digital outputs
Amazon.com
5V Relay Module with Optocoupler Isolation

Found this: https://www.amazon.com/AEDIKO-Channel-Optocoupler-Isolation-Support/dp/B095YD3732/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1M0LAB8LSBQIY&keywords=5V+Relay+Module+with+Optocoupler+Isolation&qid=1678832257&sprefix=5v+relay+module+with+optocoupler+isolation,aps,196&sr=8-6

QTY 1
Any Win7 or Win10 computer or laptop, I prefer a Mini PC. keyboard, mouse, monitor, and ethernet cable
Amazon.com : mini computer

is win 10 pro good or should I stick with just win 10.
Here is a nice looking one...
I'm sure I can find others.

Thanks!
-CM

Post a picture of your Galil board. It looks like you have everything you need.

Thanks Sd.
I've been reading up a bit.
Bijur says their fittings work with either 4mm or 5/32 lines.
The meters themselves though, come metric or std.
Agreed - I’ll have to pull one and check if it’s metric thread or SAE.

I suspect my fittings - at least for the head - have been played with.
I have two 03, and one 00 - but they are also marked with different letters and are different constructions.
I suspect they are not Bijur.
Plan to replace and tune the system by getting some 03 and 00.
More on this when I get my parts.

Jim. Thanks.
Here is a close up of the board.
Is this sufficient?DABEB932-8E6D-4E39-B9D5-01B79D0C9FAF.jpeg

The pendant controller - will this function or is it for wrong Siemens system ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/1633177693...HhOO3zQFU3SgmLPkUhPKpz6zmA==|tkp:BFBMqpuFo9xh

Thanks.
I’ll get moving.

Did You go to the Bijur site?
Did you download the technical manual?20230316_150304.jpg

Sd - I did not see this page.
Very helpful.

I did however read about them - and there were a number of clues that suggest they are not Bijur.
My three in question were marked:
CPV 3
CPB 3
PSS 00

I don't think that fits Bijur's nomenclature.
Additionally - two of mine had a black plastic sealing ring on both ends of the metering unit.
None of the Bijur units shown on their metering unit page.

Finally - the "metering units" have a check valve - which mine have (the "control units" do not).
So I am relatively confident I am looking at the right page.

Pretty sure they are not Bijur.

*Edit - Sdelivery - did you ever rebuild your Webb? Didn't you have a super similar mill to mine?

Last edited:
Sd - I did not see this page.
Very helpful.

I did however read about them - and there were a number of clues that suggest they are not Bijur.
My three in question were marked:
CPV 3
CPB 3
PSS 00

I don't think that fits Bijur's nomenclature.
Additionally - two of mine had a black plastic sealing ring on both ends of the metering unit.
None of the Bijur units shown on their metering unit page.

Finally - the "metering units" have a check valve - which mine have (the "control units" do not).
So I am relatively confident I am looking at the right page.

Pretty sure they are not Bijur.
Maybe I missed it but I'm wondering if you know who the manufacturer is?

Back