Beauty in The Beast: Webb 5BVK Barn Find/Conversion

Are you dealing directly with Jaeger Hou at Ditron? He knows what to send, use my name, I have been dealing with him for a long time.
I am dealing with their outward facing customer service gal - Kate.
I will suggest the she contacts Jeager Hou to clarify - thanks!
Curious - when you bought from them in the past - did the magnetic tape come with the steel already adhered like I show in that picture - as opposed to separately in a roll that you had to then peal and stick to your magnetic strip?

The cover band is separate. And you peel and stick after you install the mag tape.

Have been chipping away at the details.
- Machine is now wired with selector switch - moving the DC power between servos. (more on that in a minute).
- Dug in to the wiring - realized separate conduit to servos just for encoder. Since encoder's won't be used, removed.
- DRO on hold until they send me the proper steel with peal off backing.
- Some tools and clamping kit arrived - and... we have ignition!
Yes. It's just a hole.
However - thought y'all may have insights - good or bad - on how you see my feed method and speeds.

Am now looking for advice and help in a couple areas.

After installing the selector switch, servos are not moving reliably at low speed settings - like they did when powered separately without selector. Presume I've added too much resistance through either longer wiring runs (home run) or the switch itself - or both.
How could I improve?
- Is this an Amp issue vs a Volt issue *(I've tried a power supply with 50amp and 15V and a 30V 10amp. Both suffer same in this set up).
- How might I optimize - slow feed is nice for control.

Control board.
Left top potentiometer is for spindle speed.
Left middle is servo selector switch home run to box - then out to servos. Note - existing servos wiring is about 14 or 16 gauge and runs from main box to servos, however, I used 20/4 for running form switches to control box.
Left bottom is servo speed control
Right top - emergency stop
Right middle - spindle direction
Right bottom - Servo up down or left right when selected with left middle selector switch.
IMG_2772.JPG
Switch specs

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 9.17.58 PM.png

I would use the 30Vm 10 amp supply. 20 ga is too small for the motor power wires, should be at least 16ga, better at 14 ga. As far as low speed performance, It could be a limitation of a cheap speed controller, but also could be affected by the wire size. Not sure.

I would use the 30Vm 10 amp supply. 20 ga is too small for the motor power wires, should be at least 16ga, better at 14 ga. As far as low speed performance, It could be a limitation of a cheap speed controller, but also could be affected by the wire size. Not sure.
Thanks Jim.
Couple good things happening.
I'm now getting pretty cozy with how the original wiring was - and what's what.
Controls are actually quite nice right there in front of me.

Finding a selector with 4 total poles was tougher than I had imagined!
Will stick with the 30/10 and start by upping the wire gauge and see if I can get some better performance.
Perhaps I can find a better switch if not.

Kind of like the set up from a user interface standpoint - would be nice if I can get it to be a bit more responsive.

Gents,
Back from picking up my kid - who was on the East coast...
Great drive.
Happy to be home.

Returned to find a stack of boxes full of tooling bits and bobs ordered before I left.
Excited to get back to it - and plan to use it for a project as a first test.
Read: plenty of questions to come as we recommission the beast.

Have been keeping my eyes out as well for a lathe as I traveled.
This one is on my radar.
Looking for a bit of feedback before I pursue.
Weird to me that it's two different colors.
Any comments or questions I should ask before I contact seller?

"Logan lathe for sale asking $2200 or best offer. Have tooling that goes with lathe, no I wont sell tooling seperate. Lathe is wired for 220 single phase just plug into the wall and go to work. Moving soon so need to sell."
00W0W_eyfJz8g2Cpyz_0t20CI_50x50c.jpg00S0S_gmnXjHcGirYz_0CI0t2_50x50c.jpg00D0D_wLnifQv9P2z_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00T0T_bWa1eeYbk0Fz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00H0H_ebgE9bAC9CZz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00v0v_32lM8vpH0szz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

not a terrible deal, depending on what tooling comes with it - I'd want a 4 jaw too for that price. The steady rest looks home made, which is novel.
Turret tailstock is a neat addition if you're likely to do short runs of identical parts.

you should contact Ulmadoc, he's got a hounds nose for finding great tool deals.

Thanks Matt.
Agreed - I'd probably give it a pass at this price - but its been up for a while - so I'm assuming it's negotiable.

I was trying to get a read on why the two tailstock components are a different color - perhaps they were found/additions.
Just trying to generate enough conversation on this one to get myself up to speed a bit.

Much appreciated.
-CM

For $2200 I'd be looking for a worthy counterpart to your mill. If you have the space larger lathes 16" + come up for surprisingly good prices fairly often. If you push your budget a little you can get something bigger.

If you fancy a Logan I'd be onto this one.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/tls/d/compton-logan-10-lathe/7346078140.html

Or this one's been on for a while, might be worn beyond usefulness but might be worth a look.

John

Thanks John!

Ideal world - proper counter part to my mill would be my move.
However - I'm tight for space.
My thinking is to make my mill more compact in long run - smaller box on side.

I could work in a lathe - and I don't just want a craftsman atlas 6"... but smaller footprint is what I am thinking.
No special love for Logan - just happens to be available and about max on size.

The second Logan you posted had caught my eye.
Will need some work... and tough to know if it's all there or not as not operational.
Might also contact that guy and see what I learn.

Appreciate you weighing in.
-CM

Back