Bedroom Machine Shop Build

Bringing this thread back up to the top.. I am seriously considering replicating much of your design in a new house. I live in the city and a large shop is not an option, nor is building out a bigger garage. That said, there could be a spare bedroom that would support a similar design that you have. How has it worked out since April of 2019? Any changes you would suggest?

Did you get new machines?

My shop is awesome. I feel like making stuff every time I walk in there (unlike my garage). It's nice to have great lighting, climate control, and be able to walk in there at any time. Highly recommend. I do have some new machines, but they are mostly in the garage for now. I would not hesitate to build such a room again; it has been great.

My shop is also in a spare room that is 12 x 15'. I put jack posts under the heavy stuff. Other than the space limitation it has been fine.
Robert

Yes, I also put headers & jack posts under the floor joists under the heavy stuff.

I agree. I use the shop so much more because it is easy access. I walk in there all day long for little things. The climate controlled environment is much better for the tools. If i build another house I would plan on an attached shop with a slab floor but keep it as part of the house.
Robert

Just remember that the closer the shop is to the house the more work it is to keep them seperate. Especially for little chips that attach to the bottom of shoes.

LOL Thank you brino.

I've followed this thread from the beginning.
The beginning was quite a while ago so the reference to the early planning went high above my head.

My shop is awesome. I feel like making stuff every time I walk in there (unlike my garage). It's nice to have great lighting, climate control, and be able to walk in there at any time. Highly recommend. I do have some new machines, but they are mostly in the garage for now. I would not hesitate to build such a room again; it has been great.

Yes, its a stretch on a lot of minds to attempt to do things differently than whats laid down in a region/ locale or body. I know many, which will look at me like I have a third eye if I were to tell them I have a machine shop setup inside my house. Why that's so hard for people is beyond me. I'm glad you're enjoying your shop space. It's great not to be part of the herd mentality.

I've had relatives (especially ladies) ask me, "Whatever would you do with a lathe/mill/whatever???" My best answer to them is, "Whatever would you do with a sewing machine?"

Back