Bedroom Machine Shop Build

1. I like the notion of climate control for my machine tools since I already have a difficult time keeping my table saw and bandsaw tables rust free. My garage is not climate controlled.

Hi, give some Minwax Finishing Paste Wax (or similar) a try on the power tools. For me it seems to be keeping the rust at bay.
The only items not rusting in my shop lately have been the ones that I had coated with it earlier this summer.
I'm going over the machine tools now and putting it on the non critical exposed areas.

At the risk of steering this post down a side-track, I agree with the wax suggestion. Seems to be SOP for woodworking. I solved my rust issues on my metalworking tools a few years ago with a pound of pure lanolin from ebay. Nothing has rusted since except for spots I missed with the lanolin. I also keep the ceiling fan on High when I am not there. Unheated steel building.

Did you model the tools and toolboxes or were they in the Sketchup library?

Great job!
The exact box wasn't in there, but there was a model that was close. I did some minor tweaking to it, and then used the skew tool to get it to the correct dimension. The SB lathe was already in the warehouse as were the other machines.

[EDIT]- I just uploaded the models to the SketchUp Library. The model titles are:
"Harbor Freight 44" 13 Drawer Tool Chest" and
"Harbor Freight 44" 13 Drawer Tool Chest with 7 Drawer 18" Side Cabinet"

Last edited:
At the risk of steering this post down a side-track, I agree with the wax suggestion. Seems to be SOP for woodworking. I solved my rust issues on my metalworking tools a few years ago with a pound of pure lanolin from ebay. Nothing has rusted since except for spots I missed with the lanolin. I also keep the ceiling fan on High when I am not there. Unheated steel building.

Thanks guys- I'll give it a shot! The rust isn't *that* bad on my woodworking tools, in fact- it's pretty minor. But it definitely is enough such that material doesn't exactly glide over my tablesaw top. I'll give the wax a shot; seems like a good idea!

Looks like a well planed small space, the only thing i wouldn't put the bench grinder in their, the dust is ow so small and gets every where. Although you look to have planned for that with the dust extractos so maybe ? Hummm

Stuart

True- the bench grinder would get dusty, no question. I have planned for dust extraction/swarf removal via a shop vac and cyclone separator, but to be honest- I overlooked the dust from the bench grinder. I don't think it would be too hard to make a hood type device to hook to the dust collection like this:
26412-01-1000.jpg

Good observation!

26412-01-1000.jpg

26412-01-1000.jpg

26412-01-1000.jpg

26412-01-1000.jpg

26412-01-1000.jpg

True- the bench grinder would get dusty, no question. I have planned for dust extraction/swarf removal via a shop vac and cyclone separator, but to be honest- I overlooked the dust from the bench grinder. I don't think it would be too hard to make a hood type device to hook to the dust collection like this:
26412-01-1000.jpg

Good observation!

I need a dust extraction to use with my bench grinder, I've made a plinth type stand for mine and try to drag it out side when I do any substantial grinding, I touched up a tool bit on it the other day inside the workshop and it was like a very fine cloud had filled the room :-0 yup I need extraction I thought (or a warmer pull over) :)

I recently made a small "spray booth" type filter to use when I'm air brushing models I got a large pleated HVAC filter on ebay for it. needs a lot of suction though.

Stuart

26412-01-1000.jpg

26412-01-1000.jpg

26412-01-1000.jpg

26412-01-1000.jpg

26412-01-1000.jpg

Oh. *spare* bedroom. I was thinking "Let me see. The mill can go in the corner if I rehang the door to swing the other way. The lathe could go next to the dresser, but that would block the window. Where to put the bandsaw? Better put the grinder out in the hall. Long stock can be stored under the bed..."

And what will a night at these luxury accommodations cost ?
Seriously I am impressed with your planning within a small envelope.
I have too many interests and find my 40 x 60 and numerous out buildings too confining ( too much STUFF).
I look forward to seeing more of your progress.

Look for a bench grinder with a vacuum exhaust connection, Alternately consider a belt sander. With the proper metalworking belt, it can do most of what a bench grinder does, often better, and most come with a vacuum exhaust connector.

it's a slippery slope, next thing you know you have a toolbox in every room, and let me tell you the are hard to get upstairs..

Back