Beefing up a Craftsman 6" and a "chop and channel" I'll dare to ask the questions

Tom,

The Atlas 3950 and the Craftsman 101.21200 are identical except for badges. The bed casting and the machining on it except for the tapped holes to attach the legs and headstock are the same as on the 618 and the 101.21400. Depending upon your serial number, you could have the same compound slide. The tailstock looks different but the one off of the 618 will fit all of the MK-2's.

The Atlas 3950 and the Craftsman 101.21200 are identical

Thanks, Robert, I had suspected that, based upon the mention of the square head. I've gotten to really like my little lathe, I found an ER40 chuck on an MT2 stem, used a threaded rod to secure the taper in the headstock and used a 1" 10 threaded collar to put a bit of pressure on the back of the collet chuck. it eliminates about 80% of the flex in the chuck. No, it s still a little lathe, but does what I need. And doesn't take half the shop.

Tom,

Sounds as though that will work OK. A better (stiffer) solution would have been an ERnn collet closer with the back side threaded 1"-10, Probably cheaper, too.

an ERnn collet closer with the back side threaded 1"-10,

Yes, that would be stiffer, Are they available commercially? I made two, never could get concentricity below .003. . Never mind, I'm not going to buy another one.

That is some great info and the collet idea is quite interesting. I have no personal experience with ER type collets, but I am hearing about them more frequently and will have to study up to understand more.

Mark

Mark: I have a square head 3950 and although I've made a few improvements it has some inherent design limitations, more so than the 618 model.
I do like being able to pull the collar and spin the chuck by hand, and belt changes are a breeze on it. Best change I did was put a variable speed motor.
Mark S.

Mark,
Thanks for the input, this may quickly become moot. I just found out I will be looking at an Emco tomorrow morning that might be ideal without any need for mods. If so, I guess there will be a nice little Craftsman looking for a home. Didn't expect to find something this quick, but that's why I never stop looking and I always keep an open mind to upgrading. I'll keep everyone informed on how this turns out.

Mark

spin the chuck by hand,

I build a hand wheel with handle that mounts on the left end of the spindle for tapping, I can crank the chuck/collet holder easily with that. Beats turning the chuck by hand.

Back