Been doing some more learning

Vince_O

Active User
Registered
Well I try to learn something on this lathe, right or wrong, every time I use it. I have a friend that rebuilds test equipment, dial indcators, hight stands ect. He has been teaching me how to read the guages and do some set up work.

Ive been having some problems with my feed towards the head stock getting to a certian point and stopping. He told me to pull everything apart and clean it. So I did, wasnt sure what I was in for. He also looked at my bed ways and found that in a bout a 3 inch long area theres so wear. Hes going to bring some equipment over and measure the differasnce for me. He also agreed that I need to go to the class in Ga to learn how to scrape them. But first he gave me a name of a guy that rebuilds machines right here in my back yard! So I took off to his shop and talked with him a bit. Hes an old guy that used to rebuild machines for all the textile mills in the area. Then he turned me on to a small shop in town, NEVER knew it was there and Ive lived here 14 yrs, and he gave me some pointers on what to do about the feed, clean it mostly first.

In the first pic, where the screw driver is pointing, are these whats called the jibbs?

2nd pic, I didnt know there was something to adjust the lever for the half nut. I turned it about 1/2 turn, much nicer now.

In the third, how would I tell if the nut is worn?

Lathe Ways 002.jpgLathe Ways 004.jpgLathe Ways 006.jpg

Lathe Ways 002.jpg Lathe Ways 004.jpg Lathe Ways 006.jpg

Heres some clutch disks I did. My buddy helped me get the disk set in the chuck, I see now why a 4 jaw is more persise, and it turned out well.

I tried to pull the chuck off to clean it, couldnt get it off so I left it for another time. Thanks to this forum, Im going to have alot of fun with this!

Lathe Ways 007.jpgClutch disk turning 001.jpgClutch disk turning 002.jpgClutch disk turning 003.jpg

Lathe Ways 007.jpg Clutch disk turning 001.jpg Clutch disk turning 002.jpg Clutch disk turning 003.jpg

Vince,
#1 Yes
#2 I doubt its an adjustment screw. More likely a retaining screw that needs cleaning, maybe you just freed up some crud when you moved it? However I am not familiar with your lathe so it could very well be the screw that holds the whole shebang together :lmao:
#3 It looks worn to me. But as screwcutting generally only takes place in one direction, whilst the wear can be bad it will have little effect on what you are doing.
In pic 1 of your 2nd post, how does that measurement compare to other areas of the ways?
Pics 3&4, is there a motor hiding under that box?
A pic of the lathe name, or some model info would help

Cheers Phil

Phil, Thank you

Its a 6 in atlas. The bed measures perfect as far as the pic goes. The wear is on the top where everything slides.

The postal box is covering the motor, for now. Somone here mentioned the oil and chips may get in it. I have run it with out the cover and some stuff gets on the motor. I am hunting a piece of sheet metal to form a shield over it .

Vince,

Your machine is looking good!

Phil,

I don't recall whether Vince found and quoted the model number in his early posts or not, but it's an Atlas 6" Mk2, either Model 3950 or 10100.

Robert D.

Robert, thanks

Im still trying to find a "reasonable" priced tailstock ram. Someone said I could make one, but I belive that would be over my head right now. Plus not having the change gears I couldnt thread it.

Hi Vince
Lathe looks good and it looks like you're doing nice work on that clutch plate. Sent a PM too

Jeff

Ok Robert, just won a 6in tail stock, cheap enough let hope it will cross over for the ram! If not, I have an expensive paper weight :rofl:

OK. I didn't know that you were bidding on it (because of eBay's paranoia) but saw oneearlier this week. I kept hoping that another ram alone would turn up but nothing but 10"/12" since you started looking. eBay apparently has a 48 hour delay before you can see sold items so I'll just say I hope you didn't have to pay TOO much for it. :) At least now you'll be able to drill centers and turn longer pieces on the machine.

While you have both tailstocks apart, check and let me know what the difference is between the two ram screws.

Robert

Will do. Im scheduled to go back out arund thursday, and Im going to try and stay out for about 6 weeks till I start my new job, so it will come while Im gone. So it may be a while before I get you the info.

Yes theres a few for the 10/12 lathes. I may get a new half nut and put it on to try out the feed, if its any better.

Back