Before after pics of an Alexander Master Toolmaker Mill

bob135

Registered
Registered
Hi , Heres a few photos of an Alexander master toolmaker mill that i picked up cheap(at least in the UK) last summer ,spent 3 months doing it up and quite pleased with the results of what should be a great upgrade for me from a Seig type mini mill. The alexander were made under license from Deckel until WW2 but still made up until around 1960`s,mine was made in 1953.
Bob

P1280898.JPG

4.jpg

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

Very nice. I really appreciate the effort people like you put into these projects restored to bring their former glory (or better). I've never actually seen a mill like that before - all the different ways you can orient the table to spindle. Seems very functional. Did you have to much in the way of way scraping or modernizing the electrics? What kind of tooling (shank) fits machines of this vintage?

She's a beauty. Looks like you but a lot of hours into it. Mike

Very impressive work on a very impressive Mill.

"Billy G"

Thanks guys,.
Petertha. I havent used the original electrics,as it was all 440V stuff and the original motor was an enormous 2 speed job and water damaged .Im just powering it off an inverter drive at 220v 3 ph and a 2 HP GE electric washdown motor which i bought cheap as it was ex military surplus.
I must have been lucky as all the slideways etc,, were virtually unworn. The spindle takes 4 MT tooling . They often come with more accessories like a seperate high speed head (with seperate motor), a slotting head and other stuff like a dividing head ,but mine didnt have those. Though the overhead arm and arbor for horizontal milling was there.
Basically you can do almost anything on them within reason, only weakpoints are not a massive amount of headroom between table and spindle and short quill travel. They only take up about 3ft x 3ft of floor space.
You can read more about them here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/alexander/index.html

:drool:
wonderful restoration!
did you scrape the surfaces? they look nicely finished!!:grin:

That was a good read. Very versatile machine. I'm guessing, now starts the search for accessories, or maybe creating them. Good hunting, or I guess as they say in your neck of the woods, tallyho. Mike

Back