Before after pics of an Alexander Master Toolmaker Mill

Truly amazing piece of machinery and a beautiful restoration. It really makes one appreciate how machines were made in the past and the versatility of their designs. Although this one is the first I have seen of this kind. Thank you for posting.

Nice job! Actually too nice. Now bolt a vise to the table, clamps a piece of metal in there, smother it with cutting oil and start making chips. No one likes a machine as clean as yours. LOL

Tom S.

Gosh that's beautiful. In the first pic I though it was made of wood....
R

:drool:
wonderful restoration!
did you scrape the surfaces? they look nicely finished!!:grin:
There was minimal wear to the sliding surfaces, which was good because scraping surfaces is beyond my experience.
Heres a few photos of the surfaces during restoration.You can see the gear stick used for x and z axis power feed . The only real issue was quite a bit of backlash on the x axis lead screw /nut. I do plan on making a new nut at some point and getting a dro,so the issue wont be much of a problem.

P1290177.JPG

P1290471.JPG

Hi Bob, you have done a great job with the Alexander. I'm a Maho man, MH 600 - which is probably the same size as your machine - very close to the FP1. The search of the attachments is endless. I was fortunate to get my original machine with most of the attachments and a bit of tooling, then landed a second machine nearly identical to the first with a couple more attachments. I am still looking for the high speed head and the measuring tools specific to the punch milling attachment.

I find it a great machine to use. Yes head room is an issue, so when the opportunity came up I a bought Cincinnati knee mill.

DSCF4484.JPG

Hi Bob, you have done a great job with the Alexander. I'm a Maho man, MH 600 - which is probably the same size as your machine - very close to the FP1. The search of the attachments is endless. I was fortunate to get my original machine with most of the attachments and a bit of tooling, then landed a second machine nearly identical to the first with a couple more attachments. I am still looking for the high speed head and the measuring tools specific to the punch milling attachment.

I find it a great machine to use. Yes head room is an issue, so when the opportunity came up I a bought Cincinnati knee mill.

Hi David, yes the Maho are similar in design but i believe the way the different attachments go on is different from the Alexander and Deckel. I dont want to get into a constant search for attachments as it gets really expensive and i dont really need them for my strictly hobby use. There is an Alexander dividing head on ebay at the moment but its at the other end of the country from me and missing the arm and tailstock. I think ill manage with the small dividing head and small rotary table i have. The guy i bought the Alexander from was selling the slotting head seperately for more than i paid for the basic machine with a few bits of tooling ,i said no thanks!
Is yours 4MT and what sort of tool holders are you using if it is??? I got a few bits like shell mill arbor , clarkson chuck with a few collets,etc... all MT4 . Also the collet adapter and a few collets with the 20mm x 2 thread.
Heres a photo of the only bits i got with mine ,some bits i dont know what they are for such as the round flat (faceplates???) with the slots across.
I did get the original manual with notes on it telling the date it was made/sold and who to(a watch and aircraft clock/dial making company called Louis Newmark).

P1280906.JPG

Last edited:
I have to join in to say that your restoration makes the mill look like it just came off the manufacturer's line. Truly a beautiful machine.

Back