Before drilling my PM935 head...

Clock work

Registered
Registered
Doing my due diligence.. it appears safe from the diagrams I've examined but I've screwed that up before.. is there any problem with drilling a shallow.. say.. 5/16 max hole in the two areas marked in the picture? Thanks in advance.

CW
Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 11.27.36 PM.png

Bottom one, no problem.
Can you be a bit more specific on the top hole? There is room there, but it depends on the machine and where the hole is. The worm gear assembly swings back and forth there. If you engage the worm gear you'll have well over an inch to drill the hole, worse case, you break through the casting and you have a hole. Or, if you're too far right, you'll drill into the selector shoulder. The selector handle is easy to remove. Remove the cap screws and pull straight out. To replace, line the pin up with the cam and push straight in.
If you remove it, you'll be able to see everything and decide whether you have room.

Bottom one, no problem.
Can you be a bit more specific on the top hole? There is room there, but it depends on the machine and where the hole is. The worm gear assembly swings back and forth there. If you engage the worm gear you'll have well over an inch to drill the hole, worse case, you break through the casting and you have a hole. Or, if you're too far right, you'll drill into the selector shoulder. The selector handle is easy to remove. Remove the cap screws and pull straight out. To replace, line the pin up with the cam and push straight in.
If you remove it, you'll be able to see everything and decide whether you have room.

Shawn... that's possibly the most perfect reply I've ever retrieved from the internet.. thank you!!

CW

Hahaha, pleasure. I have a First (Bridgeport clone), but they’re all built the same. I completely rebuilt my j-head and had that worm gear assembly and selector out at least a half dozen times.

Yup... now when I bring people into my shop, they'll think I'm a super precise guy.. easier than actually being one. Though.. when I put the Hurst shift handle on my MB, nobody seemed to think I was a better driver. Still...

CW

Back