Before I pull the trigger...

agshooter

Registered
Registered
I am looking at these two TECO L510 VFDs.

1st - 1Hp 4.3 amp Teco-Westinghouse, L510-201-H1, 1 HP, Variable Frequency Drive 230 Volt, 1 Phase Input, IP20, at De

2nd - 2hp 7.5 amp Teco-Westinghouse, L510-202-H1, 2 HP, Variable Frequency Drive 230 Volt, 1 Phase Input, IP20, at Dea

I will be using this VFD for a Clausing 5310 lathe with an existing 1954 3 phase motor (0.75 hp; 2 amp at 60 hz).

It is my understanding most say double your hp for the VFD, but what you really should look at is amps. If this is true, I should be good with the 1hp/4.3amp VFD, correct?

Ideally, I'd like to initially hook up the original fwd/off/reverse switch to get the lathe up and running. I am not entirely sure how to do that, I looked at the Teco manuals and for me, it's not clear where I would hook up those 3 wires and how to program that. Unfortunately, I'm more of a visual learner. Im sure the answer is in the manual, but Im not seeing it.

In the future, I may set up a set of push button Fwd/Rev/off/jog/potentiometer. I imagine both of these VFDs could do that?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've heard 'them' say to double your HP for a rotary phase converter, but 'they' say you shouldn't go too much higher than the motor rating for a VFD.

I use a 2HP VFD for the 1.5HP Bridgeport motor and it's been working great for over a year.

So I'd go with the the 1HP version. After all, it's rated for 1HP for a reason.

Watch this video for some great information: https://www.automationdirect.com/videos/video?videoToPlay=2CrF3oALLwk
I went with Automation Directs WEG CFW-300 for my mill. It has analog and digital inputs. I wired the drum switch to the digital inputs using a dedicated forward wire, a dedicated reverse wire, and a 0V reference wire to the digital inputs and reference input. No power or other connections were necessary for the drum switch. Then it's programming from there. It wasn't too tough. Automation direct has great how-to videos.

I hope this helps.

You want to wire the motor directly to the VFD with no switches in between. Breaking the connections from the VFD to the motor while under power can damage your VFD output stage, basically voiding the warranty.
Reversing should be done by the VFD; you need to re-configure the existing switches
-Mark

That I understand, that's why I asked how to connect the switch to the VFD.

Watch this video for some great information: https://www.automationdirect.com/videos/video?videoToPlay=2CrF3oALLwk
I went with Automation Directs WEG CFW-300 for my mill. It has analog and digital inputs. I wired the drum switch to the digital inputs using a dedicated forward wire, a dedicated reverse wire, and a 0V reference wire to the digital inputs and reference input. No power or other connections were necessary for the drum switch. Then it's programming from there. It wasn't too tough. Automation direct has great how-to videos.

I hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll look at the CFW-300

That I understand, that's why I asked how to connect the switch to the VFD.
It depends completely upon the type of switch and the particular VFD. Most have very extensive instruction manuals that will spell it out - that should be your go-to guide for connecting things.

You're fine to oversize a VFD. The primary concern is once the VFD becomes large, the current transformers are selected to have a larger range at the expense of resolution. This doesn't matter on bigger motors, but if you try to run a 5HP motor on a 100HP drive, you would have reduced performance due to the less accurate measurement of motor current.

It is my understanding most say double your hp for the VFD, but what you really should look at is amps. If this is true, I should be good with the 1hp/4.3amp VFD, correct?

You really don't need to double for a VFD but it won't hurt. The 1hp L510 should work just fine. (This VFD is designed for single phase input, some VFDs are designed for 3 phase input and need to be derated when used on single phase input, not this one.)

Ideally, I'd like to initially hook up the original fwd/off/reverse switch to get the lathe up and running. I am not entirely sure how to do that, I looked at the Teco manuals and for me, it's not clear where I would hook up those 3 wires and how to program that. Unfortunately, I'm more of a visual learner. Im sure the answer is in the manual, but Im not seeing it.

In the future, I may set up a set of push button Fwd/Rev/off/jog/potentiometer. I imagine both of these VFDs could do that?

Most probably you can do all these things using your current switches wired to the low voltage inputs on the VFD these will be S1, S2, S3 and COM terminals on the VFD for fwd/off/rev (my copy of the manual has this on pages 4-33 & 4-34. Since we don't know what you have for switches it's really not possible to tell you exactly how to wire them up.

A potentiometer for speed control is connected to
10V, AVI and AGND terminals. (This is on page 6-2 of my manual.) I have never set up JOG but I believe you can use terminals S4, S5 and COM and there are a whole bunch of JOG specific parameters that you can set. (Page 8-5 of my manual).

Last edited:
I like the ability to hook the laptop up to the CFW300 and programming it. Wonder if this would be a better route than the Teco?

Back